Ohio . . . Anything To Do There?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
I have never posted in this particular forum, due to the fact that I don't get to travel much. Anyways, my company is sending me to Ohio for a while (weeks, months, a year? They didn't specify.), I will either be in Toledo or Cincinatti I guess. So, is there anything to do there? I have driven through Ohio, but never really stopped anywhere other than a gas station. Are there any nice lakes or anything around? How is the weather this time of year? I just wanna know a little bit about the place I may be temporarily living in. I guess I will be driving there from Tampa either Sunday or Monday.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ohio . . . Anything To Do There?

I hope its not Toledo....I grew up near there and not much to do other than lake Erie.
Cincinatti would be a more happening place.
I hope they don't keep you up there long...;)

TilliamWe

Banned

Toledo is not the greatest spot in Ohio to be sure. But Lake Erie is worth checking out. If you are into Amusement parks, the best roller coaster park in the world, Cedar Point, is withing 1.5 hours of Toledo. Detroit, MI isn't too far away, if you wanted to go see people more down on their luck than you! ha ha!
In Cincinnati (the proper spelling. Kinda like Chaparral) the Ohio River is worth going on. And King's Island is just north of there. Of course the Cincinnati Reds' baseball stadium is in downtown Cincy, if you like that.

The weather in both can range from as "hot as Tampa" to a low at night of 55degrees. Hot weather is supposed to roll in later this week. Toledo will be windy, most likely, cause it's flat as a pancake near there.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you can to pick between the two, Cincinnati would be my choice. Lots of lake boating opportunities for a trailer boat within a three hour drive and there's a pretty good boating scene right on the Ohio River at Cincinnati.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/outdoorfun/ohioboating/tabid/495/Default.aspx

The link will get you started on alot of lakes to try out. Some others arent listed like Berlin, Senenca,Tapan. Toledo isnt that bad I lived there for a month while working. Like any major city it has its good parts and its bad parts. If you go to Toledo forget about Detroit and go to Windsor Canada WAY BETTER than detroit. Detroit is a porta john that hasnt been cleaned in years.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Detroit, MI isn't too far away, if you wanted to go see people more down on their luck than you! ha ha!

OK take it easy on Detroit fellas...ever hear of the saying "don't kick a man while he's down" well Detroit is down and out but no need to make light of it. What if Caterpillar goes under and gets taken over by the government, would you folks find that equally hilarious? Do you want to be laughed at then? It sure is possible so be thankful for what you have and be respectful.

Anyhoo let's forget about Detroit as a boating destination and focus on the other virtues of Michigan like the other 10,000+ lakes that offer whatever boating activities you could possibly be interested in as far as freshwater goes.

If you end up in Toledo I'd recommend taking a drive north of Detroit and Flint and check out northern Michigan. Perfect time of year to be up north too:D

Also I did live in Cincinnati for a year and there are some great places to eat there:) If you end up in Cincy I HIGHLY recommend a trip across the Ohio river to a place called the Hofbrauhaus...a sweet German beer hall that was built identically to its sister location in Germany. Excellent beer, music, food, atmosphere. You will not be disappointed:D By the way Northern Kentucky is WAY more fun than Ohio- that is my opinion.

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, get stopped by the OHP! They will be waiting for you withing 30 miles of the state line! :D:D

That's about all I can tell you. Have feed the ticket monster there, but never stayed long.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Well thank you all for the advice. Just found out that I will be heading to Toledo. I have to drive Sunday afternoon from Tampa up there. I think it's like 1125 miles or so? Unfortunately, I don't know how much free time I will be having, but I would like to see some sights. So I guess the highway patrol up there is as bad as it is here, huh? I need some medication for my lead foot disorder. Thanks for the replies, and I will be sure to check some stuff out while there. The worst news of all is I can't bring my boat:(

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Toledo isn't too bad. I live and grew up in Cincinnati and went to school an hour away from Toledo at ONU. There are some smaller lakes around that are good fishing and nice boating. St. Mary's resevoir, Indian lake and some others work well if your boat isn't big enough for Lake Erie. And like someone said earlier, Northern Michigan is gorgeous. Try out Mackinaw Island which is right between the UP and lower part of Michigan. If you end up living in northwest Ohio you will find out there is some weird weather up there with strong winds and very light rain all day in the spring sometimes.​

On a side note if you get really adventureous check out Manitoulin Island which is in Ontario in Lake Huron. Beautiful and basically untouched wildreness while excelent baoting and fishing.​

TilliamWe

Banned

So I guess the highway patrol up there is as bad as it is here, huh? The worst news of all is I can't bring my boat:(

Please, as a native Ohioan, who moved to FL at age 22, and lived there for 3.5 years, I can swear to you that the Florida Highway Patrol couldn't hold the OHP's coffee cups when it comes to busting speeders. Just slow down, don't go over the limit by 5 and you'll be okay.

Not having the boat does suck! Try the zoos and amusement parks. If it was hockey season, I'd recommend the Storm. Maybe the Mud Hens for baseball??

Huron, whoa down there fella. It was a joke. Okay, so it was based on a lot of truth, but still a joke. As far as CAT going under, that isn't gonna happen. They got their union to take wage and benefit reductions about 15 years ago, and have gotten more in the last 10. Quite simply, they don't have as much long term unfunded committments. Yes, if they left Peoria, it would hurt the area tremendously, but it wouldn't be as bad as MI or Detroit. Not by a long shot.

Huron Angler

Admiral

They got their union to take wage and benefit reductions about 15 years ago, and have gotten more in the last 10.

If GM/Ford/Chrysler had been able to achieve that then things would be much different and the situation would be manageable if not profitable.:rolleyes:

No hard feelings William, I just don't like to hear people laughing about the problems that Michigan is experiencing. Plenty of hard-working folks put in their time and did what was asked of them only to find their pensions and future in serious jeopardy due to poor leadership by the companies, the gov't and the unions. It gets old pretty quick and Michigan has been in a recession/housing collapse far longer than any other state in the union.

All the folks moving out of state are dumping cheap boats on the market though so there always is an upside.:)

dcollicott

Cadet

Detroit Tigers. Toledo Mud Hens (Detroit Tigers AAA team). Lots of caverns in the central part of the state. Come check out northern Michigan some weekend. It's fantastic.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope its not Toledo....I grew up near there and not much to do other than lake Erie.
Cincinatti would be a more happening place.
I hope they don't keep you up there long...;)

Lies!

I live down here on the maumee river, in Texas Ohio. I boat between Napoleon and Grand Rapids. There is a decent amount of stuff to do here, not super exciting. But I like it that way.

www.maumeewake.com

Depending on where in Toledo your staying, your only about a 15-25 min drive from me. Feel free to come up and hang out on the boat, board, ski whatever man.

give me a shout!

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on where in Toledo your staying, your only about a 15-25 min drive from me. Feel free to come up and hang out on the boat, board, ski whatever man.

give me a shout!

I appreciate the invite, and may have to take you up on that offer. No telling how long I'll be up there. I know they got me lodged up in some Studios Plus or something? It is pretty much right at the junction of 75 and 475, just on one of the side roads. I will be working all over the area, though, so no telling what part I will be in day to day.

scipper77

Commander

Good luck and God bless on your trip. And hopefully you don't get sucked in to the trap of life on the road. That would be spending every night in the bar because there is nothing else to do after you are done working. Are you going alone or with a group?

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the invite, and may have to take you up on that offer. No telling how long I'll be up there. I know they got me lodged up in some Studios Plus or something? It is pretty much right at the junction of 75 and 475, just on one of the side roads. I will be working all over the area, though, so no telling what part I will be in day to day.

20 mins tops from my place, I live right on the water.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for your good blessings and concern. I am going by myself, however there are already some people up there. My job is utility locating, and that district is way understaffed, so I am going up there temporarily (no clue how long yet) to help out. It's a sweet deal, I am leaving down here at 5 today, and I get to stay clocked in for the whole drive, which I calculate at about 15 to 16 hours. They pay for me to fly home and back every other weekend, as well as the lodging. Unfortunately, there's just no money to be made in my line of work in Florida right now. I don't know how much spare time I will have, but I would definitely like to see the local hangouts and all. I am also a food connoisseur (sp?), so I would love to hear about some good hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Thanks again, everyone. And Smitty, I will contact you once I get up there and get a free moment. It looks like probably 14 hour days at least until Saturday or Sunday for me.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry I did not respond sooner. I left Tampa at 5 PM on Sunday, made it up here at 11:30 AM on Monday. That was a LOOONG drive. I got to see the mountains, fog, thunderstorms, strong winds, and more idiot drivers than I knew existed. 1125 miles, I had to keep asking the voices in my head "are we there yet?" You get kind of lonely on long drives like that. . Oh, and just for the record, those 5 Hour energy drinks do not work. I downed three of them (a couple hours apart) and they did not have any effect on me. I gotta say, it is beautiful up here. I don't even miss the 110 degree 101% humidity in Tampa!