1981 Starcraft 14' repaint

reelfishin

Captain
I picked up a small 14' Starcraft a few months ago, it was pretty rough but didn't leak. It was originally dark blue, with orange and silver stripes with a green inside. Then someone took some medium blue and gave it a pretty nasty looking brush painting.
http://i32.tinypic.com/kf2oti.jpg

I stripped it bare, primed it with a good solid coat of zinc chromate self etching primer and was going to paint it dark blue again, meanwhile, someone gave me a gallon of MAG Rich Lux industrial coating enamel- High Gloss. It's applications were listed as being for metal, wood, and high wear surfaces.
I painted a test panel first, it looked good so since this is just a beater boat, I figured why not. The results so far are pretty amazing considering I painted it with a $3.99, 4" foam roller from Harbor Freight. I brushed in all the recessed areas, rolled the rest on pretty heavy but making sure to work the paint in well.
It took a day to dry, and if the test panel is any example, it's pretty tough stuff. After a week, I can't scrape the paint off the test panel, and it don't seem to chip very easy. I've had it sitting in the sun curing now for two days.
http://i25.tinypic.com/2552hwh.jpg

As paint jobs go, it's not perfect, but it's certainly decent for what I have in it. Anything is a far cry better than what it was.

The next step will be to figure out what to do inside. It's a mint green color inside with some wear on the ribs. I was going to just paint the inside the same way but after seeing how smooth the outside came out, I figured I'd be making it like a skating rink inside. I'm thinking of maybe just shooting the inside with colored bed liner from Walmart. I still have to put the transom wood back in, and bolt on the outer transom pad, (3/8" ply). It's rated at 25 hp, I may hang my Merc 200 on it and give it a spin in the river when its all done, but I mostly wanted it for local lakes, which only allow electric motors.
I am debating also whether or not to add some plywood to make a flat floor and take the weight off the outer hull but I don't want to add too much weight.

The main reason for this post is to show how well those cheap foam rollers work. I was actually considering mixing and spraying this thing, but I'd still be cleaning up the mess from that. By rolling it, I know the paint is well adhered, worked into every little crack and crevice, and I didn't waste any paint. It also no doubt will go a long way to insuring that the rivets are sealed as is this paint is pretty thick out of the can.
I will Gluvit the inside, but that's just a precaution. I had floated it for a few hours after it was stripped completely and there wasn't a single leak even then.

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1981 Starcraft 14' repaint

nice boat looks just like mine except i got a 13 ft ten inch boat turns out it wasnt a 12 footer but it planes real quickly i got a smoke craft and it looks just like yours

North Beach

Commander

RF, I had an episode on my first shakeout run and found myself touching up some of my sprayed paint job with a roller. you're pretty much on track here. I cant tell the difference between the spray and the rolled.

Andy in NY

Commander

I picked up a small 14' Starcraft a few months ago, it was pretty rough but didn't leak. It was originally dark blue, with orange and silver stripes with a green inside. Then someone took some medium blue and gave it a pretty nasty looking brush painting.
http://i32.tinypic.com/kf2oti.jpg

I stripped it bare, primed it with a good solid coat of zinc chromate self etching primer and was going to paint it dark blue again, meanwhile, someone gave me a gallon of MAG Rich Lux industrial coating enamel- High Gloss. It's applications were listed as being for metal, wood, and high wear surfaces.
I painted a test panel first, it looked good so since this is just a beater boat, I figured why not. The results so far are pretty amazing considering I painted it with a $3.99, 4" foam roller from Harbor Freight. I brushed in all the recessed areas, rolled the rest on pretty heavy but making sure to work the paint in well.
It took a day to dry, and if the test panel is any example, it's pretty tough stuff. After a week, I can't scrape the paint off the test panel, and it don't seem to chip very easy. I've had it sitting in the sun curing now for two days.
http://i25.tinypic.com/2552hwh.jpg

As paint jobs go, it's not perfect, but it's certainly decent for what I have in it. Anything is a far cry better than what it was.

The next step will be to figure out what to do inside. It's a mint green color inside with some wear on the ribs. I was going to just paint the inside the same way but after seeing how smooth the outside came out, I figured I'd be making it like a skating rink inside. I'm thinking of maybe just shooting the inside with colored bed liner from Walmart. I still have to put the transom wood back in, and bolt on the outer transom pad, (3/8" ply). It's rated at 25 hp, I may hang my Merc 200 on it and give it a spin in the river when its all done, but I mostly wanted it for local lakes, which only allow electric motors.
I am debating also whether or not to add some plywood to make a flat floor and take the weight off the outer hull but I don't want to add too much weight.

The main reason for this post is to show how well those cheap foam rollers work. I was actually considering mixing and spraying this thing, but I'd still be cleaning up the mess from that. By rolling it, I know the paint is well adhered, worked into every little crack and crevice, and I didn't waste any paint. It also no doubt will go a long way to insuring that the rivets are sealed as is this paint is pretty thick out of the can.
I will Gluvit the inside, but that's just a precaution. I had floated it for a few hours after it was stripped completely and there wasn't a single leak even then.

i am going that route too, rolling. kevin's paint job inspired me. i was hoping to get my prep done tonight and get it nailed tomorrow, but the rain kept me inside so i'll be prepping tomorrow and hopefully getting at least the white done.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looks great RF!
That is some thick, tuff arse looking paint!:D

NB..Will you shoot or roll Ol blue then???:confused:

Andy..Your boat will be killer, I know it will turn out well! No way it won't!;)

North Beach

Commander

I think I'm gonna have some title issues with old blue here in VA.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looks great ( man those little starcrafts are too easy to flip over and paint ) . I am going to have to bring in an army to flip mine and its only 16' .

Rick

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am also in the ranks of people who have repainted a old aluminum boat. I suspect any problems I may have will be in paint "retention" or the paint flaking off, but it hasn't really happened yet, and I painted the boat about a year ago. I have included just a couple of before and after shots. My boat was also painted blue, and I went back with a Pearl Gray with a roller and touch up with a brush. It came out well, I think, and I really like the boat...

Attachments

• before headon.jpg
    before headon.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • after top port.jpg
    after top port.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • after port side.jpg
    after port side.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • before interior.jpg
    before interior.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0

reelfishin

Captain

I was really surprised at how shiny it came out, I used that paint since it was free, but the results are as good or better than with Rustoleum. The the test panel I did is proving to be pretty tough, I've scraped, hammered and gouged it and the paint is well adhered, both with and without primer.
The boat has a good coat of self etching zinc chromate primer though, so it shouldn't have any of the normal aluminum issues like peeling.
I'll flip it back over this weekend, it's been cooking in the sun all week now, so it should be pretty well cured. The test panel took about a week to really set up hard. I build myself some new trailer bunks and am in the process of setting up a small trailer for it too.
I actually had originally just intended to flip it for some cash, but the more I work on it, the more I like it.
It's pretty light, far lighter than my 16' Super Sport which will be the next one I paint. I also have a gallon of the same paint in white for that boat. I'm not sure whether or not I'll be flipping that one though, with the floor and transom already in it, and all the weight of the fiberglass layers on the floor, it's pretty heavy already. I'm more concerned about dislodging the floor by turning it all upside down though, it's only held in by the original amount of rivets, maybe 20 or so. I'll most likely just suspend that one from the beams in the shop when I paint it. Also, once that one is painted, it goes on a freshly refurbished roller trailer too. I may fit the trailer before I paint it though.

I think I'd get an every nicer finish with a firmer, foam roller, but it would be harder to get good coverage around all the lapstrake ridges.
I really like the color, from a distance, it looks more silver than gray. I wish I had a lot more of the same color. I also have some aqua blue in the same paint, I may do the inside with that. Right now its still the original mint green. I want some contrast between the inside and outside as well, it just looks better to me that way. Once its flipped back over and on the trailer, I'll install the transom wood and remove the corner caps, which will get glass beaded for a more original look. I may also attach some swivels for seats too.