2001 vmax hpdi 150 hp solid alarm

thrasja

Recruit
Greetings
I need some help I just purchased a bass boat with with the above listed motor and upon my second trip to the lake I ran about 1/2 mile up lake and motor ran fine I sat down to go under a bridge and started to get back on plane and the solid alarm came on I shut the engine down because it scared me I let it set for about thirty minutes and turned the switch on and it was no longer alarming is this a temp related problem since it went away or does anyone have any idea what it could be the tech wants to change water pump and pump housing .He said it did not alarm long enough to log a code in on board computer does any one have any ideas also I think when the alarm came on the motor went into what they call rpm reduction mode does that make any sense :(

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 vmax hpdi 150 hp solid alarm

It depends on if the solid alarm went off for oil problems or temp problems...

Which light was flashing along with the alarm?

thrasja

Recruit

dont have a light on mine for some reason .It just scared me and I let it sit for about 30 min and when i turn switch on again the alarm was gone thats why i wondered if it wasnt a temp deal what do you think

TexasX

Seaman

Check oil level. Also was your motor "peeing", did it have a solid stream of water coming from the motor?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

peeing doesnt mean squat about engine cooling other than the water pump is working.
most bass boats I see are rigged with poor quality non yamaha guage packages.
without it its hard to tell as yamaha uses trhe same alarm tone for all 8 ways to set it off.
the 01 HPDI will set a tone for low engine oil tank level,overheat,low battery, and water detect in the engine mounted filter when running.