Need some info on a '82 MT Vsonic 16/9

DUBKAPKE

Recruit
New to forum, first post. This forum is great!

The amount of knowledge here amazes me.

I recently bought a 1982 Mark twain Vsonic 16/9 with a Mercruiser 140 I/O. I did my research here on the forum before buying it and I felt I had a good idea of what I was getting myself into. I knew the transom and back 1/3 was rot. The hull is beautiful and patch free. I do know the boat sat in a lake for at least 5 years in northern WI. It seems it was taken care for most of it's life. I am now the third owner. I got the boat for cheap but I have no intention of using it until I have everything fixed correctly. I did take it out for a few hours just to check the engine and see if it took on any water. It checked out; no water. The back of the boat is rotten for sure. I am expecting the worst so I am ready to do a complete restore if needed. I plan on taking my time and doing it the right way. I hate shortcuts. I took some samples from the transom and it is rotten. The front engine mount is gone as well. I assume this had been replaced already as it is just bare wood; or that's what I can feel with my fingers through the bilge. I am going to assume that the stringers are gone as well. I know many might think the boat is not worth it, but I am using this as more of a learning experience. To me, getting experience is golden. I have searched hi and low for info on this boat but struckout. I really want to get some visuals of what is under there so I can plan this out before I start. What can I expect to see when I tear the floor up? It looks like two stringers for sure. How is the cross member that the motor mounts to going to be tied into them? From some research, I got the impression that Mark Twain built a pretty solid boat. And yes, I did checkout the Marktwainboats forum.

Here are a few pics a couple of days after I picked it up.

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

I look forward to using all of your knowledge to learn from! Anyone from the Milwaukee, WI area on here?

Chris

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some info on a '82 MT Vsonic 16/9

Beautiful boat. Looks way newer than it is. It will definitely be worth all the time you're going to put into it. Good luck with your project!

manaze

Recruit
Re: Need some info on a '82 MT Vsonic 16/9

;)I need help with the year the boat was made. We were giving an 18FT Mark twain Vsonic boat. No HIN number. We have no paper work or registration. It was last reg in 01. What does the 16/9 mean? My tag says 18 I/O 6-1-9 the 18 is feet I/O is inboard outboard. What is 6-1-9. How did you determine the year of your boat. Can I go to the DMV with the numbers on the bow of the boat or the 01 registration numbers to get the year.