Need help with fuel system problems

stpetebub

Cadet
Hi everyone..

1978 140 HP Evinrude

I had my carbs cleaned, fuel tank emptied, installed new water separator filter, added new gas/oil and engine runs but after a few seconds craps out.

I went as far as connecting an external fuel tank directly to the fuel pump to rule out my hoses from tank to pump and still have the same issue.

When the engine is running and I squeeze the primer bulb it stalls, however the bulb is firm.

I'm starting to think fuel pump may be bad, took it apart and there was gunk and rust in it, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Need help with fuel system problems

Test the fuel pump output pressure ... best way to know if it's bad.

stpetebub

Cadet

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't have any equipment to test the pressure.

Yesterday I ended up replacing the fuel lines and primer bulb but still have the same issue.

I do notice that when I prime the bulb fuel appears to run out of the carbs. I was able to take it out for a short spin and it ran terribly at low speed. In fact switching from neutal to reverse or forward stalled the engine.

I'm still seeing that when I idle at a higher RPM I don't have an issue, when I back down to a lower idle it will stall, and when I check the primer bulb it's flat and needs to be reprimed.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Hi everyone..
.......When the engine is running and I squeeze the primer bulb it stalls, however the bulb is firm............
Dave

That would indicate that fuel is bypassing the float valves in some way - possible a failing primer solenoid valve or incorrectly adjusted floats. It's possible you may have a ruptured membrane in the fuel pump.