1980 25hp evinrude no spark help

deano6772

Recruit
I have a 1980 evinrude outboard 25hp # E25TELCSA It has no spark. The engine turns over great with the elctric start but there is no spark. Can the power pack be tested some how? Or should I be looking some where else? This ran last summer but die twards the end of summer and has been sitting all winte? Any help will be gratly apreciated.

Deano
:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980 25hp evinrude no spark help

unplug wiring harness then jump the solenoid or pull rope. and see if you have spark, could be bad igintion switch.

deano6772

Recruit

The ignition switch has the push in for choke feat. and it works. Also I tryied to use the pull cord and it wouldnt budge. Is the wireing harness the big on by the cyl head?

Thanks
Deano

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Unplug the big red plug ... you'll need to use the choke or disconnect fuel to stop it if it starts. The plug eliminates all external wiring.

Rick.

Captain

Sounds like it died suddenly. Take a look at the kill switch as it may be faulty causing spark to go to ground. Just disconnect either of the two wires and then see if spark is restored. Good advise above but my idea would be a lot simpler, not necessarily right though. Best of luck. Rick.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Unplugging the red plug under the motor cover in the lower pan isolates the motor from all the electrical stuff up front, including the kill switch, ignition switch, etc. That's why you have to use the choke or unplug the fuel to stop the motor. And it's really simple ...