Building Houseboat Advice

dakota69

Cadet
i am toying with the idea of building a 40-50' houseboat.
dont see many pontoon manufacturers
Can anyone recommend best material, ie fiberglass, stainless etc for pontoons and mfg. I would like to buy a solid foundation and complete the rest with my sons and their friends.
Interested in any poor souls that have ventured before me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Building Houseboat Advice

hi dakota....

welcome to i boats....the best forum on the net......

lets get this moved to an are where there are more crazys like you.....

but it has been discussed....just hit search !

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

That sounds like a pretty cool project idea. I also wonder if others have done it before. Good luck if you take this project on and keep us updated.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know around here (I live in Utah) house boats are very common down at Lake Powell. I have been in a time share on one for many years and love it. The hull material depends more on what/how you plan on using the boat. For me and the terrian at Powell, the steel plontoon style is the only way to go. Very durable and reliable our boat is powered by two 90 horse johnsons and does very well. I see alot of boats that people have done themselves as well. Most will buy an old hull (plontoons and deck) and then go from there. I have seen some that basically use a travel trailer attached to the deck and skirted in while it sounds kind of hokey I have been on some VERY nice boats. The V hull aluminum are nice and offer alot more storage but not nearly as durable in my opinion, plus they are expensive and more maintainance, and different engines/ drives are usually used(usually I/O). Some of the old rental boats that are now out of commision (44' - 52') can be bought quite cheap, but do need some work which is what it sounds like you want. If I were you I don't know where you live but you may want to check into some of the big houseboat lakes. See what they have for sale.