adjusting idle on rude 9.5

Grandv8

Cadet
I have a 1965 evinrude 9.5, motor runs great first pull start. I have some questions though

I know this is subjective, but I have a 1957 Lonestar 16 foot closed bow aluminum boat. With a occupant load of around 500lbs. The slowest I can get the motor to troll is 2 mph, after that it wants to bog out and die. The boat seems to be big enough that I should get slower speeds but I really dont know I am new to boats. I can obtain 8-9 mph with the same load at wide open throttle if that is needed as a reference.

The throttle will kill the motor if I slow it too much is this correct or should the kill button be the means of killing the motor,

Here is my question, does it sound like the throttle linkage is out of adjustment?
Is there a way to slow down the idle and have it run good ?
I have already adjusted the low speed idle mix and that has helped but I couldn't get much slower with it adjusted, it just started easier.......
any advice would be greatly appreciated

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: adjusting idle on rude 9.5

Theoretically (no slip), the boat cannot go slower than 2.46 MPH at 650 RPM using a 7 pitch prop.

If you used a 5 pitch prop, you could theoretically (no slip) go no slower than 1.75 MPH at 650 RPM.

The 5 pitch prop is OEM #0386587 and is hard to find.

Grandv8

Cadet

so theoretically the speed is right for the motor, I am assuming the rpm you qouted is supposed to be idle rpm ? so beside the prop change how else can I slow it down ? Trolling bags or a plate, im not real fond of either way is there any other alternative ?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The service manual says to make the final adjustments to idle at 550 RPM in gear, under load. 650 is what I find works best on most 9.5 motors if you are going to troll a lot.

At 550 a 7 pitch prop would theoretically (no slip) have the boat go no slower than 2.08 MPH.

The least complicated way is the lower pitch; sea anchors are a nuisance and the plates create a lot of drag when you don't want it.

[Edit] Lion hunter posted a picture of one here recently; see the thumbnail:

Attachments

• SANY0068.JPG
    SANY0068.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 0

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I posted the picture, but I have not got around to testing it with and without to tell if it makes any difference ( I was wooried about drag more than going slower). I don't know the brand but it is just the right size for that motor. I'll keep you updated when I test it and let you know.