Help with 99 150 johnson

lima155

Recruit
My 150 Johnson seems to be starved of oil. It will start and shut off right after a bit with the oil alarm going off. There is oil in the reservoir(to the top) but still shows the oil light... And it does not smoke. My understanding is that if it was in fact getting oil into it, it will certainly smoke. The primimg bulb is very hard, as if there was something in the engine not allowing it it to flow. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with 99 150 johnson

That motor has two sensors for oil. One is oil level in the tank. The other is oil at the OMS Pump. Which alarm is going off? Visible smoke from the exhaust should be obvious to show oil is burning.

Have you bled the oil line? There should be a primer bulb on the oil line.

I would mix some 50::1 gas-oil fuel in a remote tank to use for testing the motor, until you get this issue worked out. The OEM Service manual has step-by-step tests for the OMS pump. I recomend you purchase a service manual.

Boblester40

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just remember not to try and pump the oil bulb to much other wise you will fill the fuel system with oil , i would disconnect the oil line from the pump and pump into a jar to make sure it is primed OK failing that it could be a faulty OMS pump or the sensor in the OMS pump is not working . be sure there are no oil leaks or kinks in the line runing from the oil res. to the motor .

rgds
bob

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree with ^^^^^^. run 50:1 premix, until you are positive the oil is mixing. no reason the burn up a good motor.