Engine cuts out at hish speed

Stretch.

Cadet
Hi, I've got an 85 Blue Fin with an 85 Johnson 90 vro. The boat was running well, but recently, when I was running across the lake at about 7/8 throttle, the motor cut back like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I pulled the throttle back to idle and let the engine catch up and brought it up to speed only for this to keep repeating. I took it out another day and it acted like this again but then straightend out and had plenty of power for the rest of the day. The next time I took it out it ran fine for the first hour then wouldnt hardly even get on plane, then with the throttle about half way would surge up and down like it wanted to go but just couldnt. The next day it ran fine. My throttle linkage seems stiff as well. I havn't had the boat very long. A recent compression test showed the top 2 cylinders at 120-125, but the bottom 2 only 80-100. I will pull the heads this winter and hopefully only have to do piston and rings. I'm just wondering if this is a pump issue, another fuel issue, a spark issue, or something else i haven't even thought of. Any input on possible causes would be a help in diagnosing this problem.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Engine cuts out at hish speed

I'll take a wild guess,

one side is overheating, the head is warping,
you lose compression and rpm's drop.
It cools anmd repeats until fixed or blows up.:eek:
Its a simple fix if you fix it now. Might be clogged water passages or water deflectors out of place in the head.

45psi variation is way out of spec, I'd bet you need to replace the head gasket and find the reason for the overheat, do you have any alarms buzzing?

have you tested the heat sensor in the head?

got the factory manual?
www.outboardbooks.com

Stretch.

Cadet
Re: Engine cuts out at hish speed

I haven't had any alarms go off but i haven't tested the sensors either. The first time it happened my first thought was, oh man I just cooked my motor!! I ran to the back of the boat and stuck my finger in the stream of the tell tale and the water was nice and cool. The funny thing is it doesn't need time to cool before accelerating again. It gets up to speed with decent power and after running full out for about 10-15 seconds cuts back like it isnt getting fuel. The only time it didn't want to plane out the motor hadn't been running long enough that it should have been too hot yet either because after I had ran it we fished for a good half hour just drifting with the motor off. It was on restart that it had no power. Also, if it was overheating, wouldn't it idle rough at the time. I don't know how the compression can vary so much either because it seems to run too well for such a high variance. I'm confused. Was thinking fuel but now not sure.