1985 Merc 3.0L Cam gear problem

Brian M

Recruit
Can anyone tell me a few things please...... Like why does the cam gear keep coming off the cam by a good 5/16 of an inch? This motor was rebuilt like 4 years ago and it has allways seemed to be something. Blown head gasket etc. We have tried this second cam gear with even some real nasty loctite from my cousins die shop but still not good. Another question is do they offer a steel gear instead of the aluminum deal that has been on it? Now this little problem has wiped out the gear on the distributor and is no longer available. So is there a car gear that will work or can someone point me in the right direction for one. Sorry if it seems that I am rambling but this thing is starting to pee me off. Thanks, Brian

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1985 Merc 3.0L Cam gear problem

Ayuh,.... My guess is Something is wiping out the cam gear,.... Probably the Cam,...
Have you had it Out,+ Mic'ed,..??

Who rebuilt it,..?? What exactly was Done,..??

Brian M

Recruit

In the process of getting torn down right now. Was a total rebuild with all the machine work done by some of the best people around here. (they used to sponsor us with our race car) Assembled by my brother in law who has been building motors all his life. This is the last time that we are tearing this thing apart so am just curious if this is a freak thing or not that is happening? Even the people that we bought the rebuild kit from are checking to see if there happens to be a cam available that has a sprocket that can be bolted on instead of pressed. Just trying to cover the bases since like I say....this is the last time. Now am on the mission to find another gear for the distributor. Thanks for the reply, Brian

Brian M

Recruit

Still looking for a gear for the distributor if someone has an idea where to get one. Thanks, Brian

Bondo

Staff member

Still looking for a gear for the distributor if someone has an idea where to get one. Thanks, Brian

Ayuh,... ebay might be your Best bet......