24ft 76' amf slickcraft 351 ford motor

mngopher22

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to work on a boat project and I was wondering how realistic fixing up this boat would be.
The link is below.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1256312256.html
I talked to him last night and i am going to look at the boat today.
I have a limited budget but my goal is to get it on the water runnning properly. He stated that the steering needs to be redone and exhaust elbows installed.
Now my question is, is it going to be hard to find parts for this ? ie steering and exhaust elbows?
I plan on doing all the work myself so labor is not an issue i am just wondering will i be able to track down parts to fix this myself?
Thanks for your input!
I am new to this fourm!

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 24ft 76 am slickcraft

A real important thing to determine is the type of outdrive, I have often seen the ford V8s with a mercruiser outdrive, which would be much easier to find parts for than an OMC stringer drive. Exhaust parts for the 351 might be in short demand also.

Seriously check these things out before buying. The price is very good considering the trailer, but it isnt hard to spend 3-4k on parts especially if they are hard to find.

mngopher22

Seaman Apprentice

how do i determine the type of out drive if the seller doesn't know?
So finding steering parts may be difficult to find?
im not worried about lets say the stove and refridrator
Just the motor, are you saying 3k-4k in parts for steeing and motor? or whole thing?
Thanks for you time and comments I appreciate the help!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: 24ft 76' amf slickcraft 351 ford motor

Chances are if it's a 351, it's got the 233 drive. A 233 is basically just an alpha I, and there is no shortage of parts for the engine, exhaust, or drive unit. If everything checks out it's a good motor.

mngopher22

Seaman Apprentice

i went and look at it today
its a omc 235 and the stern drive unit is omc 981105
what do you guys honestly think?
here are some photos

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

With an old OMC drive I think that boat looks like a potential money pit. It's too bad because he has it fairly priced but I think it would be much too easy to get in over your head on that one. I'd hate to see you put $$ into getting it running and then have something break on you that just because it's a rare part you end up needing to spend $$$$ to get back on the water. Keep looking for something with a Merc in it.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

With an old OMC drive I think that boat looks like a potential money pit. It's too bad because he has it fairly priced but I think it would be much too easy to get in over your head on that one. I'd hate to see you put $$ into getting it running and then have something break on you that just because it's a rare part you end up needing to spend $$$$ to get back on the water. Keep looking for something with a Merc in it.

yes indeed-
great boat trl- old motor -but drive is crap.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The OMC Stringer drive is a Deal Killer on that 1...