Bayliner Quality

jjt98

Seaman
I know Bayliner boats are considered cheaper, lower on the totem pole boats when it comes to quality. Has the quality of Bayliners improved in the last 10 years?

I'm looking at buying my first boat and I'm trying to decide if I should consider a Bayliner or not. I'm considering 2000 (year) and newer boats.

jjt98

Seaman
Re: Bayliner Quality

Thanks for the link. That asnwers several of my questions. My other question is what is considered a "newer" Bayliner or Maxum?

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the 90's. Brunswick took over the company and started making a low cost, good quality boat. They kept the idea of an affordable boat for the entry level/budget minded person.

So if you are looking around a late 90's early '00, you'll be fine.

Just read some other threads on what to look for in buying a used boat.
Here is one to get you started.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=321526

JZammetti

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can only speak for my Bayliner experience, I purchased a used 2005 BR185 for $9,000.00. This will be my second full year with her and my only expense has been gas, which my 3.0 Merc is great on, and winterization. I have put on her 219 hours since October 2007 and I have not had any (KNOCK WOOD) problems with her. I mainly run her in the river but sometimes peek out into the bay. I hope this helps, I don't have facts or figures, just my boating experience.

Hansolo99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had an 86 14' with a 50hp outboard (it was my first boat). It was great and we owned it about 2 years before I decided to buy something new. I went with a 2000 Ski Nautique and the quality was awesome, but the more you pay the more things cost. I ended up blowing the tranny at just under 60 hours on the thing (warranty was up and becuase of a loose bolt at the factory low oil was the culprit-NO they did not pay for it! I DID!) the cost $3,500.00. 1 year later the motor starts knocking. I was done, I got rid of it.

I bought 2 Yamaha Waverunners and enjoyed them for 2 years only to realize how much we missed boating. I starting looking and could not believe the quality with Bayliner. They really stepped up there game on the newer ones. Newer meaning 1999 and newer. I bought a 2002 195 Capri Sport and it is SWEET. It had only 66 hours and the cost? A low $7,000.00 (what I sold my skiis for)! Tons of power, storage, room and the placment of everything is well thought out. I started with Bayliner and ended up with a Bayliner in the end. This will probably be the last boat I own. Like stated early this is just my experience. Hope it helps at least a little.....

Jeep Man

Commander

Check out a thread from June 3rd titled "Do I need to avoid Bayliners" by TC777. It had good informative answers.

Doggonitt

Cadet

That's all I ever owned, that's all I ever could afford. You do what you can with what you've got. Had my first Bayliner from 1986 Brand New to 2001. (15 Years) It was a 2850 Contessa with single volvo penta 350hp. It took a bit of a beating with the kids growing up. They didn't use stainless screws, so it seemed every year we were finding more to replace. I finally bought a whole bag of SS screws, nuts, bolts, just to have on hand. The boat had a 10' beam, and although it was a light weight, after about 10 years and the engine starting to lose power, we upgraded to a 454. It would have been much better with twins though. We sold it in 2001 after going bigger with a 1999 32' Bayliner Avanti that had only 30hrs on the engines. What a difference a few years make in the manufacturing. All the screws are SS. With an 11' beam, it is powered with twin merc v8 7.4L Big Blocks with Bravo 2 drives. There are many amenities which are comparable to sea ray. This is our 9th year with the Avanti, and we have not had to replace anything more than impellers, and anodes. The key is to take care of it, do the maintenance suggested. It is not a Blackfin, Bertram, or Grand Banks, but I am where I love to be, on the ocean, and I still got to feed the kids too.

jjt98

Seaman

Is it common for Bayliners and boats in general to not have hour gauges? I found a 2000 Bayliner Capri LXI 205 with a 5.0 I am looking but it does not have an hour gauge. Is there a way to determine how many hours a boat has on it without an hour gauge?

The owners said they bought the boat brand new in 2001 and can obtain all the maintenance records that is a good thing right? When looking at the maintenance records what exactly should I be looking for?

jkust

Rear Admiral

I am at the financial point in my life where I can move up the quality ladder. Had that not been the case when I bought my boat last year, I would have absolutly considered a late 2000's BL. Bayliners are great boats because they depreciate a lot very quickly which is the same reason I only buy American vehicles. They are not as blingy (pick your adjective) as some other boats but you can still have a great time on one.