Security systems for boats

pgiuf

Cadet
Still trying to recover from the lost of motor etc recently from crime-I am getting worried about sticking another motor on the boat. Very interested in hearing from anyone who has some type of security system in place. I have a 1802 Trophy. pgiuf

SoFloStone

Seaman
Re: Security systems for boats

I have friends that have had car alarms installed on their boats, hooked up to the hatches and doors, but unfortunately they are only effective if someone is around to hear them and wants to get involved.

I have not heard of any alarm systems being hooked up to the engine, but it would not be hard to run a wire to the engine that will trip the alarm if cut or disconnected.

It might be a better idea to get other boat owners on board and campaign the marina to put a better security system (camera's) in place that can be used as evidence and put these scum bags away.

Rick

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with SoFloStone. The only security system worth installing in this day of "not my problem" onlookers is one which connects to a cell phone and calls you or a camera recording system which (hopefully) has the tapes secured to prevent evidence destruction.

Keep in mind, even if the marina has security cameras, it doesn't mean they are worth anything. I once parked a brand new $16K motorcycle in a valet garage with cameras everywhere. A few months later, when I came home from a trip, I found the bike gone and the valet people never bothered to call the cops or pull the tapes before they were automatically overwritten. So I was out a brand new bike and had no leads at all. I learned the hard way (sadly, many times over), security is never letting something leave your sight. Anything else is theft waiting to happen, no matter how many bells and whistles are going off.

TRUE GRIT

Cadet

You should never have to deal w/ filing a claim against your insurance for a criminal act YOUR THE VICTIM here. That should be covered by your boat yard. The fact that they (the yard) installed fake cameras would lead to possible claim right from the start. They obviously have issues prior to this , why would they go and spend $ for dummy cameras. Defiantly get some legal advise which will be picked up by the yards insurance. Your attorney can also see that the DA doesn't let this go. Then the Boat yards insurance company will go after the perps for restitution