Stall out - could it be a Fuel pressure regulator?

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
following the testing in the Adults only section and the EFI manual (Marine Power 950)

The key thing I found is that the EFI manual indicates the Fuel Pressure regulator should keep it at pressure for 15-20 seconds after the pump is turned off. Mine take 3-5 seconds to go to 15 lbs, from a nice, expected 40 lbs.

Do I need to replace the regulator?

The reason I was analyzing my fuel system is once and a while I will go from a full WOT, to a stop, when I try to restart (2 times this season, maybe 1% of the time) It will not start. I know it is a fuel delivery problem, when it happens, I have air in my racor filter, and air in the system. and I am trying to chase it... but it is such an infrequent problem... but really annoying...

Thanks.

89 Bravo 1. Newly rebuilt - but this problem existed with previous owner.

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stall out - could it be a Fuel pressure regulator?

In my limited experience with fuel pressure regulators, it mainly only effects starting. I had an issue with one, the engine would not cold start, but it would run great after I managed to get it started. Once the engine was warm, it would start fine. The other issue I had was a very strong smell of gasoline, which is not the best thing on a boat. I don't think it would be the regulator, but that is just from my limited experience.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had the screen in the fuel line clogged in the tank that caused me the same problem
check the simple stuff first

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

i had the screen in the fuel line clogged in the tank that caused me the same problem
check the simple stuff first

No screen in tank or line, checked that first. It has a racor Filter/separator.

thx though for the advice.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

In my limited experience with fuel pressure regulators, it mainly only effects starting. I had an issue with one, the engine would not cold start, but it would run great after I managed to get it started. Once the engine was warm, it would start fine. The other issue I had was a very strong smell of gasoline, which is not the best thing on a boat. I don't think it would be the regulator, but that is just from my limited experience.

Mine is reverse of yours. I have not had problems when I am starting cold, but when I try to start after I have been running, I run into problems. It is very rare, which makes it more frustrating... it took me 10-15 minutes to get the boat started the other morning... not fun, when you want to be skiing :)