Bimini Male Snap Repair on Windows from corrosion

night-watch

Cadet
Really could use some assistance. Corrosion has overtaken my snaps to the windshield. The oxidation has corroded the male snaps and now I have to replace them. Need some ideas. Can I rivet them on? I tried 5200 but it is spongy and flexes too much.

Any ideas for reducing the oxidation on the aluminum would be good as well. I will be taking a wire brush and vinegar and water to it in an attempt to reduce any further damage. Thank you all in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bimini Male Snap Repair on Windows from corrosion

Need some ideas. Can I rivet them on? I tried 5200 but it is spongy and flexes too much.

Ayuh,... Pop-rivets or screws are the Norm...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

ALUMINUM pop rivets only. ..... if you use tiny screws they need to be stainless steel. If you are wire brushing the aluminum you need to use a stainless brush of you will set the frame up to rot away with a galvanic corrosion reaction. As a good measure coat the snaps where they touch the window frame with a dab of 5200. Most snaps are chromed steel.

night-watch

Cadet

Do I drill out the old snaps? I purchased some never dull for the aluminum. Thanks for your replys.

capt-pete

Seaman Apprentice

Call a local shoe repair shop. See if they can put them on for you. They use snaps on everything from jackets to purses, and can put them on for you at a very reasonable price.

night-watch

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas, got the rivet tool, some 1/8 inch rivets, and its good to go. Now just have to get rid of that corrosion, 5200 the area and let it rip.