fuel pump ????

nonstopgo68

Seaman
i have 1986 40hp johnson-vro that has not run since 1994 . what i want to know at this stage ( i have read "awakening a sleeping outboard"- great info btw),the vro pump will be disabled and i want to be able to use the fuel pump. what is the best way to test and if tok ,cap everything off ? if not , is there a kit to rebuild just the fuel pump? any more info i may need for this process will greatly appreciated. thanks in advance .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel pump ????

VRO conversion w/ pump still working

if the fuel side on your Pump is still working it is very simple. unplug the 2 line harness going to the oil tank, unplug the 3 or 4 wire harness, going to the Vro pump. cut and cap the oil line going into the motor. add oil to fuel tank, mix well, then remove fuel line at top carb, catching gas in a container, pump the fuel line bulb until you get premixed gas to the carb. you can tell as it will change color. put line back on carb, and go boating.

your motor is also equiped with the bosses to use a block mounted premix pump, it the existing VRO fuel side does not work. better than rebuilding fuel side of vro. http://www.iboats.com/Sierra_18_735...3958477--**********.736121362--view_id.174141