2002 200XL SWB Ignition Problems

koonduke

Recruit
I have a 2002 200XL SWB Mercury that looses fire on #2 cylinder up to 5000RPM. Once the engine is above 5000RPM the firing is for the most part pretty solid. You can see a miss in the timing light every once in awhile on #2 cylinder. When under 5000RPM the engine looks and sounds like it is going to jump off the back of the boat. I have swapped CDM modules and the problem stays on #2 cylinder. I brought my boat to a "mechanic" to charge me $300.00 to change out the gas line between the tank and the primer bulb. He also stated that he changed the ignition logic module but he didn't leave it on the motor and claims he didn't charge me but I think that was in the price of the $300.00 gas line.

Any ideas? Could it be the trigger and if so how can I troubleshoot?

Thanks,

koonduke

Alvarez

Cadet
Re: 2002 200XL SWB Ignition Problems

You have swapped the cdm modules and the one on #2 works on another cylinder were ok there.Have you tried changing the spark plug?What I would do is check the compression on the cylinder and see what it has.It should have from 110 to 120 psi.Let's troubleshoot the basic first like new filter on engine and water seperator although it has nothing to do with it but it affects the engine performance.It may even be on the carbs but like i said i would go step by step.

koonduke

Recruit
Re: 2002 200XL SWB Ignition Problems

Brand new spark plugs on all six cylinders and the compression looks great. I have a brand new water separator as well as replaced the stock plastic in-line filter on the engine with the glass type with replaceable screen. I also have taken all three carbs off and cleaned they looked very, very clean. Used compressed air to clear any debris that may have been in jets. One thing that sparks my curiosity though is your interest in the fuel system. It seems that allot of people have hinted toward this system also. Why would the timing light indicate that the cylinder is loosing fire if it were a fuel problem. Not doubting, just trying to learn something.