Lost Title Virginia How To?

tmyers921

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a boat and is registered in someones elses name. I have tried to contact her but no luck. I did get the title to the trailer but not to the boat. I have the registration card any help would be appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Lost Title Virginia How To?

Contact whatever office you register boats through. They will be able to explain the requirements better than anyone here.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Call the dept. of game and inland fisheries, give them the VA reg.#'s and they will give you the name and address of the last reg. person. You will have to print out (forms on DGIF web site) and mail an affidavidt, certified return reciepe, informing the PO that you are in posession of the vessal and do they still have any intrest in it, if not to please sign over the title to you. The PO can also just sign the return reciept and when you get it back, use it to get the title & reg. transfered over to you (make copies before sending). I think there is some kind of waiting period of 16 days from the time of the mailing before you can transfer it.

Not exact but pertty dog on close, I went threw it last year, PO sign the return reciept & I went that route. The only hard part is waiting the 16 days, thinking the owners gonna want there boat back after you shelled out $$$$ for it :eek:

Good luck with dat

OV1961

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, what KeepNitreel said :D I had to get a title for my trailer and it was a pain dealing with DMV. It's basically the same process with DGIF for an abandoned boat as it is with DMV for a car. You have to prove you tried to contact the previous owner. Keep your mail receipts and send everything certified mail with return receipt. I don't know if it's ultimately a "salvage" title but at least you will have a title.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Another route you can go if you don't have the reg.#s is the homemade route. DIGF will send the game warden out to inspect the hull and give it a new title. I would only use this method as a last option if all else fails.