How to disassemble Alpha Gen 2 trim pump

JAA

Cadet
Been reading quite a bit here today. I have an 88 Renken 3.0 Merc. At the end of last season, the trim wouldnt go down when bringing the boat it. We figured it was just a solenoid so we left it until the season started. Ooof

My trim unit looks kinda like this:
IMG_0484-1.jpg

The up/down trim clicks. I attempted to jumper both solenoids, nothing. I took off the trim motor from the pump. When I hotwire the motor, it spins both ways. That leads me to believe there is something wrong with the pump. Any other ideas?

What is the best was to disassemble the pump? I havnt disconnected either of the fluid lines, will they leak if I taken them off the resoviour?

What releases the pump from the resoviour?

Also, when I took off the motor, it was all gunked up. Is that connection supposed to be packed with grease?

Thanks all,
Jason

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to disassemble Alpha Gen 2 trim pump

Being that the motor spins, re-install it. it`s fine.
You need to check the pos and neg battery cable connections at the pump bracket .Is there a square plastic looking block on the pos. side .thats a fuse.
no need to remove the plastic body, cause i`m sure it`s the wiring thats bad but if you must, there is 1 bolt in the bottom of the plastic res. Install very carefully, too tight and you can crack the plastic.

JAA

Cadet

Being that the motor spins, re-install it. it`s fine.
You need to check the pos and neg battery cable connections at the pump bracket .Is there a square plastic looking block on the pos. side .thats a fuse.
no need to remove the plastic body, cause i`m sure it`s the wiring thats bad but if you must, there is 1 bolt in the bottom of the plastic res. Install very carefully, too tight and you can crack the plastic.

Thanks a bunch for the prompt reply.

I hotwired the motor while assembled to the pump and it somewhat moves(split second), but then cuts off. It then wont move again. One of the local boat places said the pump could be clogged.

I located this pic:
19612_big.gif

I think you are saying the single screw (@11) is what connects the pump to the resoviour. Im assuming ill need to drain all the fliud as part of this work? Will I need to drain the entire line?

Thanks again

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

lower the drive to a vertical position ,suck out most of the oil with a hand pump,remove screw #11, remove reso.

JAA

Cadet

lower the drive to a vertical position ,suck out most of the oil with a hand pump,remove screw #11, remove reso.
How do I lower my drive to a vertical position? Its all the way up currently.

Where do I pump from? The resoviour?

JAA

Cadet

This post makes my last reply somewhat moot, but here is what I did.

I drained the resovior tank and took off the pump. The tank had some silver sludge crud at the bottom. Not that much, maybe a millimeter or so, but it was thick and nasty junk. Anyway, used quite a bit of a roll of paper towel and cleaned it out. Garunteed to be the cleanest part of the boat now .... ;)

I havnt touched the lines, and the trim is still all the way up. Not sure if I need to drain the lines themselves. Any thoughts?

Im off to the store to pick up some 10w30 to fill the tank and see how it goes.

Some important questions:

1. Does the area with the o-ring where the motor fits to the pump need to be packed with grease? I cleaned it all out, but with those moving metal parts I wasnt sure.

2. If I need drain all the lines, how should I go about this? If there a quick reference I should use? Also, what would be the best way to fill the lines?

3. Is there any other troubleshooting I can do with the trim pump? My fear is something is clogged up in there and I havnt the foggiest on how to clear out the pump or the lines.

As you can tell, im pretty new to this.

Thanks all,
Jason

JAA

Cadet

Rather funny sequence of events:

Motor didnt spin while attached to pump. I found that it ran fine while the motor was on its side, it ran great (how I tested). When it was upright, something wasnt proper and it would run. Took the motor apart, did some minor cleaning, took out the magnets and back in, and it seems to be running now. Im pretty sure the motor is on its last legs, but overall it seems to be working properly.

It looks like the fluid that was in the lines and hydrolics was pretty nasty. Its easy to see combined with the new 10w30. Ill more than likely do another cleaning at the end of the season.

Where would the best place be to buy a new motor? They seem rather expensive new, are there any good deals out there? How about warranty's?

Jason

diehard

Seaman

i had a trim pump that would spin but not go up ..if you look at the picture you posted there is 2 nuts [11/16] left and right i pulled those nuts off and there is a shaft that slides left and right my shaft was sticking and would only allow fluid to flow to one side of the valve i slide that shaft out and clean it up with steel wool and put it back together and works fine now