88 evinrude XP150 power loss

fattony72

Cadet
Having issues with my 88 Evinrude XP150 ..I can get the boat on plane and run for about 1/2 mile and then it has a power outage. From there it will only allow me to throttle back and idle or go slowly ahead or it cuts out completely. Starts easily but refuses to get on plane again..feels like its not getting gas...but occasionally will jump back on plane for 1/2 mile or so and then cut out again...Other developements..Unable to maintain charge on my cranking battery and my Tach is out...Thought it might be a fuel filter problem or ethanol issue...but the tach and battery have me questioning things...could it be the stator...or maybe rectifier because of tach and battery or maybe a combination of things....Not sure where to start.

TonyV

Jayboid

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 88 evinrude XP150 power loss

You say it feels like it is not getting enough gas. Then start with suspecting that fuel supply is the problem. When the engine funks out at high rpm is the primer bulb flattened or indented, or is is still nice and round and firm? When it funks out, have a helper gives a steady squeezing to the primer bulb; does the engine increase its rpms and run better for a while? When it funks out, does depressing the choke button make the engine run better for a while? Give us the answers to these diagnostic tests and we can help you figure this thing out.

fattony72

Cadet
Re: 88 evinrude XP150 power loss

bulb is firm but had a little give while running meaning I can compress it a little. we pumped it while running and it made no difference..we also bumped the choke without change. no rev change..can't tell if RPM changed tach is down...that was another issue that bothered me the tach is out and I had to recharge my cranking battery. that was the only thing that lead me away from fuel system...but I'd like to swap out the fuel filter to start (because its a cheaper check) I will add that when it does cut out at WOT it winds down and stalls out..it will start again readily and advance at 1/4 speed but if I try to push it on plane it stalls...pumping ball doesn't help, choking doesnt help, randomly after 5 or 10 minutes it allows me to push it on plane..It runs without fail if I back off the throttle to a cruising speed but funks at the top end after 1/2 mile or so...
Thank you for taking the time to help me with this by the way...I don't have much experience but i'm learning on the fly

Tony V