'89 Evinrude 200 XP V6 VRO alarm issues

bullstanky

Cadet
I took out my boat this weekend and as often happens, was enjoying a nice ride when the alarm started blaring in my ear. I've had it go off in 1 second intervals before, and usually a pump or two on the oil primer bulb fixes this.

This weekend, after running for about 2 hours the alarm started sounding in 1 beep intervals, and then continuously when on a plane at about 3500rpm, and would continue unless I pulled back on the throttle. At 2000rpm no alarm--after about 10 seconds at 3500rpm the alarm would sound continuously. From what I've read on this forum, the continuous alarm is either overheating (my temp ranged from 140-175 F--closer to 175 a low speeds and 140 at higher rpms) or fuel blockage.

Because of the numerous alarms I've heard in the past, and the fact that he engine didn't overheated or starved for fuel, part of me thinks the alarm could be faulty. As well, I do have hand tightened wing nuts on the battery terminals, which has been identified on this forum as a common cause for false alarms.

But, the alarm I heard this weekend seems to be consistent with a fuel flow issue. I did notice one of the times the alarm sounded, when I pumped the primer bulb on the fuel line, that the bulb was not tight, and needed a couple of pumps to tighten up--does this indicate a fuel flow problem from the tank?

I'm thinking my next steps, in this order are:
  1. replace wing nuts
  2. check/clean fuel filter
  3. test alarm?

Anything I'm missing?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: '89 Evinrude 200 XP V6 VRO alarm issues

No expert here, but have done some trouble shooting of fuel issues.

First, what you're describing, in my experience, is classic fuel restriction issue. It is exactly what is supposed to happen when there is a fuel restriction: continuous alarm at higher RPMs which goes away when RPMs are reduced.

You write: "the fact that he engine (wasn't) starved for fuel" but to me the alarm completely contradicts this opinion. The alarm is telling you that the engine IS starved for fuel.

If you don't have one already, you should get an owner's manual and/or get a dashboard sticker for the four alarm codes if you're not totally familar with them.

If it were me, I'd go first of all to the fuel filter(s) like you said, both water separating and inline if you have it.

Of course it never hurts to clean and tighten the electrical connections, but what you're describing wouldn't key me into that, fwiw.

The next thing I'd do instead is check the general condition of the fuel lines all the way from the tank(s) to the carb(s). There may be an obvious kink or restriction.

Then, I'd go inside the fuel tank. In the fuel tank, it could be a clogged pick up or something in the tank that intermittently clogs it. I'd pull the pick up out of the tank, inspect it, and also empty the tank (if possible) and try to clean it and determine if there's any debris that could be doing that.

That would be where I'd start, the easy stuff. I believe the sensor for that alarm is on the fuel pump (?). Regardless of where it is, you'll need to check the fuel flow all the way to that point.

I used to get a fuel restriction signal with my old J175. I figured out that it would sound when I would either have the tank valve (two way valve to switch between L and R tanks) misaligned. It would also sound if the tank was getting empty for some reason.

bullstanky

Cadet
Re: '89 Evinrude 200 XP V6 VRO alarm issues

Could air getting into the fuel line be causing the fuel starvation? I remember when I primed the bulb, when it was fairly tight, one pump caused a little bit of fuel to squirt out at the fitting where the bulb connects to the fuel line....