1971 650 65hp mercury wiring nightmare

theredman

Recruit
Ok I got the boat and the motor was sitting out in someones front yard, I got new plugs, wires, cap, key, and got tested compression. Everything looks good but I got a problem. I cannot get the darn thing to fire over will turn but not fire. I checked the usual stuff and found that there is no power to the ignition switch box? So how do I test the coil to see if I can get fire there? And I have a book but WOW wiring on that perticular motor is a Yikes.. can't tell color codes on wires there faded bad.

Thanks

theredman

Recruit
Re: 1971 650 65hp mercury wiring nightmare

oh and is there an ignition kill switch somewhere that prevents the coil from gettin juice too? I just thought of that ... thanks

casper75

Seaman

do you have a wirring diagram for yours. if so post a pic and I will see if it is like my 75 650. If so there is a kill switch you need to hook up. I just had to do the same thing to mine

catcatcher

Seaman Apprentice

Casper I have the same motor as you and I am looking at the wireing diagram now but don't see the kill switch. Are you talking about the mercury switch? If not where is yours located? I'm not getting any fire with mine.

casper75

Seaman

what kind of ing switch did you buy , also pm me your number and I can tell you what wires to hook up were