1985 3.0L Mercruiser I/O 140HP Overheated, now won't start??

hutcho3

Recruit
Hi, I've got a 1985 Forester 16' runabout with a 3.0L Mercruiser I/O 140HP that is/was in pretty good shape for being 25 years old. It's never given me much issues, and NEVER ran hot. Well, I was attempting to boat up to see the fireworks on the 4th, and while cruising around 3500 RPMS, the boat suddenly lost power and died. I hadn't been watching the gauges at the time, but after lifting the engine cover and seeing smoke billowing out, I took a glance at the temp gauge and it was hot (obviously).

Just prior to this, I had picked the boat up from my brother who had gotten stuck on a sandbar and run the boat pretty hard to get unstuck. I'm wondering if the water intake may have gotten clogged, resulting in overheating? Whatever caused the overheating, what has me boggled is that the boat will not start now. After looking at it awhile, I discovered the spark plug in cylinder #1 was completely eaten up, the gap was fused together, and it looked horible. The plug wires on #1 and #2 cylinders were shot at the boots. I put a fresh charge in the battery, installed brand new spark plugs and wires, and still it won't catch. It turns over, and it does sound a little different upon turning over (probably not good).

After a 1.5 days of messing with it in the water stranded on a beach, I finally was able to pull it out yesterday.

Anyone have any tips on why I'm having starting issues, why it may have overheated, and where to look from here? I'm wondering if timing may have gotten off somehow, or something changed with the fuel/air ratio on the carb? From the outside, nothing looks visibly warped or different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post pics of the old plugs and wires if that'll help.

thanks!
Jeff

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1985 3.0L Mercruiser I/O 140HP Overheated, now won't start??

Do a compression check. If it got hot enough to fuse the plugs & melt wires, you have problems. You're looking at probably pulling the head to see if it's warped. But, start with a compression check.