Alpha Drive Spline Washer

LAWDOG2001

Cadet
Have a 2001 Mercruiser 4.3L with Alpha Drive. Damaged the prop yesterday. I straightened the tab washer and removed the propeller nut. Can't seem to remove the spline washer despite grabbing the prop and pushing and pulling like a mad man. Can I get away with using a 3 arm pully puller on it and the prop shaft without damaging anything?? How have you dealt with the problem? Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha Drive Spline Washer

Ayuh,... If the propshaft wasn't Greased before the prop was put on,...
You'll probably have to Destroy the prop to save the propshaft...

LAWDOG2001

Cadet

The manual mentions having to throw some heat on the prop shaft to melt the rubber in the prop's hub (destroying the hub) if it's frozen- but makes no mention on how to free a "frozen" spline washer. I figure putting a pulley puller on the spline washer and and anchoring the screw on the prop shaft should pull it straight out. Supposedly the spline washer is cone shaped to lock in as the prop nut is tightened, but I'm a bit worried about putting a torch on the driveshaft overheating, and warping it just to get the washer and prop off. I figure if one is frozen- they're both frozen.
The prop is already damaged- just don't want to screw anything else up. Thanks Fellas.

LAWDOG2001

Cadet

Lucked out! Got a free loan from Autozone for a Posi lock 3 jaw 2 ton puller and the spline washer slid right out. The Prop slid right out as well. couldn't have asked for anything simpler!:D