OMC Stringer popping out of forward

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice
I finally got my new(to me) boat in the water after a few issues. Just got away from shore and the drive popped out of gear just after I started to engaged the throttle. The engine would rev, but no go. I backed off and re-engaged and it was fine for awhile. It did it again a few times, once at a decent speed. It will click into reverse no problem, but forward seems to be the issue. I found that if I put it into reverse a couple of times then ease it into drive it will work fine. I did a search here and looks like a cable issue or clutch dog. Can anyone else shed some light? Also, how big a job are these to replace?

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice
Re: OMC Stringer popping out of forward

Bump. Anyone? Please?

studdy05

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The shift issue on an OMC is a well known one. Get you a good Seloc manual or such, study it carefully. It can be done. You need to have plenty of patience and be a pretty good shade tree mechanic.

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice

Pretty comfy around cars and such. Not afraid to pick up a wrench. But what I really want to know is what is causing the problem. I will order the manual, but where do I start looking for the problem?

WizeOne

Commander

You didn't mention what flavor of stringer you had. There are basically 3 of them. Electric shift til '77, hydromechanical '78-80 and full mechanical '81-85.

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice

Well, not sure. The title on the boat says its a 79. The shifter says "shift-elect" on it an is the push to go forward and pull to into reverse, with a red lever that says start on it. Does this help? I am really hoping to resolve this so I can go boating this weekend.

This is what I have...

Attachments

• shiftelect.jpg
    shiftelect.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

WizeOne

Commander

If the drive is the original with your '79 model boat then it is a hydro-mechanical shift drive. Did you have the shift cable disconnected at the converter box?

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice

The shifter is still installed in the boat. That picture is from ebay. Not sure if it is still all original or not. I do know that it has a GM 350 v8 in it now. So, if it is a hydro-mechanical shifter, what could be the problem with popping out of forward?

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE: I went and sat in the engine bay for awhile and did some poking around and found two wires, one with a blue band and one with a green band, that disappear into the right side of the stern drive. Finding this makes me think that it is an electric shift. Could this have been converted to electric or perhaps not the stock unit? Anyways, where do I go from here?

WizeOne

Commander

How about a picture of your drive. That will tell all.

javajesus

Seaman Apprentice

Copy that. I will try and take some pics tomorrow while at work.