engine mount /fuel tank help--please

schwonk1

Cadet
Hi All:

I fired up the 250 I6 I put back in my '69 Glastron today. I've got the outdrive removed for a new water pump and lubing the u-joints, so I hooked a garden hose to the water inlet on the manifold to cool the engine while setting the timing, adjusting the valves, adjusting idle mixture etc. I haven't aligned engine coupler to gimbal bearing yet as I'm waiting for my buddy to finish maching alignment tool. After making all the necessary adjustments, the engine sounded pretty good.....EXCEPT:

With engine idling, (outdrive removed) is it normal for engine to "rock" slightly on the rear engine mounts??? Or should the rear mounts hold the engine rigidly in place?? I hear a slight thumping noise at the rear of the engine near the mounts when engine is idling. I placed the fiber washer and "special' split washer between the bellhousing ears and transom mounts per the manual and torqued the bolts to spec, but I noticed I can reach in and spin the fiber washers with my fingers on both sides. Also, does the spacer go under the head of the mount bolt followed by the large flat washer, or washer first, then spacer??? The manual is not clear on this and bolts were removed when I purchased the boat.

Also....anyone out there have a good way to flush the dirt and rust particles out of a fuel tank without removing it from the boat???

Thanks for any help.

Schwonk1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: engine mount /fuel tank help--please

Thanks to DonS
Mercrearmounts.png

The tank: detergent and water , suck out with a hand pump NOT AN ELECTRIC SHOP VAC

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: engine mount /fuel tank help--please

fiber washer prevents metal to meatal contact ,merc mech told me if it was solid mounts stuff would crack and make lots of noise. motor is held in place by rubber . so your split ring makes contact and your spacer makes contact to the pressed in rubber bushings.