Help with transom soft spot

dtag2308

Cadet
I have a 1992 Crownline 183br. The transom seems to be a 3 piece design. The center where the out drive mounts is about 3 inches thick, while the sides are only about 3/4 inch thick. I have a soft spot on one of the sides above the floor and was wondering what I could to to repair it. This part of the transom is not exposed to the outside water as it is under the cap and encapsuled by a swim platform.

dtag2308

Cadet
Re: Help with transom soft spot

The soft spot is on the inside just behind the trim pump. I have removed the glass and about 1/8 inch of plywood to get to dry wood. Is it possible to fill this with some type of resin and attach another piece of plywood then resin it it to the side hull and thick part of the transom ?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with transom soft spot

hi.....welcome to i boats......:)

best forum on the net...

i really think we need to see pics.....but it sounds like you can just glass it.
you will have to put a fan in there and dry out the area for a long time...at least a week........fyi.....when we do a transom or deck job......we dry out the wood for a month or longer before we use it...(if you read the threads on decks or transoms....they all say "get your wood now")

and the maximum thickness of the transom is 2 inches...

cheers
oops