Hard start/no idle, help please!!!!!!!!

Hey folks new user here,glad to see this forum compared to the days when i used to experiment with my old chrysler and learn the old way!!

I have a 1994 force 120. Purchased the boat used, motor idled great everything ran fine. However, before i got to change out the old gas (dont know how long the boat sat, at least a year), during idle in the driveway it coughed, sputtered and died. Could not restart without opening up the butterflies big time.

I have checked compression, good all cyl between 160-170. Spark seems good, all fuel lines changed, from tank to motor, no disconnect, new inline filter and bulb. New fuel diaphragm, new vac lines, carbs taken apart and cleaned. I did notice the lock nut on the timing (top of tower shaft was loose). adjustment doesnt help. took it out yesterday, had fuel treatment, runs great top end, nice and smooth, but i cant get it to start without butterflies open and lots of fuel. wont idle. when running at full throttle, covering bottom carb chokes motor and dies, covering top one does not.

ANY IDEAS???????????? totally stuck!! Reeds? carbs? stator?
MOtor has red stator on it

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hard start/no idle, help please!!!!!!!!

Welcome to iboats.

Have you checked the spark across all 4 plugs?
Checked it at wide open throttle and at idle speed, or cranking speed?

How do the top 2 plugs look?

checked the spark with the wire off to see the arc with plus with a timing light. top cylinder spark seems faster than the others, but it is strong. the top two cylinders also have the best compression. Pulled carbs out again for the fourth time and dismantled them slowly and really looked hard. Removed idle jets, everything is squeaky clean, used carb cleaner to check all the inlets/outlets (flow) plus compressed air. Examined reeds, they look like new, nice and firm, clean.

Stator? recitifier? can a stator make starting/idling impossible?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The stator generates electricity.
If the plugs are firing, then the stator is producing power, and the trigger is sending the fire signal.

Rectifier should not effect running, only battery charging and tach signal, etc.

I would try to start, using a small spray bottle of fuel - sprayed directly into the top carb throat.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a few more questions if you don't mind. so basically if I am getting spark then everything is working electrically. Now cant does the trigger send the fire signals to each pack, and can the signals be erratic or no. Is it all controlled by timing? I checked TDC and it is a the 0 mark on the flywheel. to the left of this mark on the flywheel it goes up to 40 and the right is like 20. Where should i be as far as marks when i have it running and checking timing? 32 degrees doesnt mean i should be to the far left would it? how do i read it?

can the reeds be an issue or do they just break when they are bad? any way to visually check them with the carbs off?

I did find the plastic sleeves on two of the wires coming from the stator almost disintigrated. so i will be shrink tubing those? it is possible those wires may have grounded and be causing all this craziness with the idle?

what color wire for in order to put in a tach?

thanks again for your help.