35hp Evinrude No Spark

hense

Recruit
I have a '79 Evinrude 35hp. I have no spark in the upper cylinder. Great spark in the lower, in whick I tested both plugs in - so they are good. I replaced the coil - no change. I am new to the boat motor world and could sure use some help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 35hp Evinrude No Spark

rope start or electric start. makes a big difference with this motor.

axel2009

Cadet

I have the same motor you have that had the same problem. In my case it was the power pack. I am new to this as well and I replaced my pack in about 15 minutes. She runs like a top now. Let us know what you find out!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have an '81 J35 and it failed last year also and it was the power pack.

terrywilson88

Seaman Apprentice

Check the wires from the power pack to the stator. You could have a bad wire, plus run the motor at night and look for sparks.

hense

Recruit

This what I have so far...

After it sits a night or 2 without attempted starts - it will fire and run for maybe a minute with the earmuffs on and then we're back to normal no starting.

Check all the wires as best I could find a few spots that had been beared by mice over the winter but nothing arching... ran it at night and could not see any arching.

Are we still thinking power pack? I have ordered one and should be here in a day or 2. Any other input is appreciated.

hense

Recruit

I installed the new power pack and bam - good spark on both cylinders. It rumbled for a minute than cut out... right back to no starting. Rechecked the sparks...still good. I pulled the cover to the carbeurator (sp?) and it was packed full of leaves and various other mouse nest "stuff". Clean it out and sucked everything out as best I could put it all back together and it started and is running great.

Thanks for all the input and remember, if it seems like it isn't getting fuel it is because it is not. Damn mice!