leaking like crazy

venomspine18

Cadet
Ok heres the my setup 1984 starcraft supersport 18 foot 120 i/o merc. I got the boat cheap so i expected some problems. I'm taking on about 5 gallons of water in 2 hours of boating. Yes lol the plug is in thats first thing my dad asked. There are no missing rivets or lose ones i can see from the outside. So i tore up the floor the foam is soaked as i remove it i have standing water. There are no punctures are holes in the boat and all the boots are good on the outside its not leaking from transom. I pump my bilge out in the water before i pull it out its empty take it up the ramp empty take it up the big hill by my house and it pours out. I will post pics later today any help i would be greatfull for this is my first aluminum and its a starcraft i love just need to stop the leak. Thanks D

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: leaking like crazy

Sounds like you need to rip out the foam and put it back in the water, watching carefully for the inflow. 5 gallons in 2 hours will mean the trickle will be visible. I'm no alum boat owner, but I think glovit is the preferred leak sealing method for them.

North Beach

Commander

I agree with LK. Sounds like you need to get the foam out and find the leak. That is of course if you know danged well you're not taking on water around the outdrive.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I filled my bilge with water while the boat was on the trailer and a streaming pin hole was immediately evident. Slapped some JB Weld on it and was good to go. My boat is still pretty leaky but that pin hole was by far the worst offender.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you may have some pitting problems. You may want to removed the waterlogged flotation and check for pitting on the inside. Anyway it wouldn't hurt to replace the water soaked flotation. Also if the problem persists, you may need a high volume bilge pump.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put 12" of water in it on the trailer and watch for leaks like ezmobee said make sure you can get the boat as level as possible when doing this.
You might have a ripped bellows in the sterndrive which will leak even more when the unit is up versus down.