Heat exchanger building up pressure

wavemaker

Recruit
I have a 1991 Volvo Penta 454. the heat exchanger is very clean inside but there must be some blockage in the system because at 3000 RPM and above it builds up so much pressure that it spews out of both end caps. I have also disconnected the tube that goes into the Riser and there appears to be no blockage there either. the engine does not overheat and there is a normal amount of water coming out of the exhaust up to 2000 RPM. I have not tried to view the exhaust above 2000 RPM.

Has anyone experienced this?????

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Heat exchanger building up pressure

Does the system have a coolant recovery tank and do you have the correct radiator cap on it and have you pressure tested it?

I'm not sure what the lb rating of your cap is supposed to be but surely it would pop off to the recovery tank before the end caps should let loose?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The end caps on the heat exchanger are the raw water side.
Have you replaced the end cap gaskets and checked the end caps for corrosion? Items 2,3,4,& 5

10445.png

wavemaker

Recruit

yeas I have replaced the gaskets and cleaned the tank where the gaskets contact. everything looks fine there. I think there is some blockage down stream from the tank, but there is no indications of where to start.
Thanks

Rat Capri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeas I have replaced the gaskets and cleaned the tank where the gaskets contact. everything looks fine there. I think there is some blockage down stream from the tank, but there is no indications of where to start.
Thanks

check the riser water outlet, unless the riser water passages themselves are partially plugged