Wellcraft 1998 190 ccf

Denno 190ccf

Recruit
Hi folks recently bought a 1998 190ccf with a 115 Hp SPL Johnson it's my first boat
Where can I pick up a manual for engine and vessel
Are there any issues with these that I should be aware of.
What preventative m'tce is required on the hull,electrical and motor
What seas can they handle,speed,efficiency,no. persons etc
Thks..

wkim

Recruit
Re: Wellcraft 1998 190 ccf

For anyone looking for some input on this boat.

I have a 1996 Wellcraft 190 ccf with a Johnson 112 spl.
Pros:
Light, fast, agile, fishes great along the California coast. Can get in and out of the kelp beds. Can fish all day on about 8 gallons of fuel. Engine is fast. With 4 passengers on board and on nice flat days the boat will cruise at 35 mph. On snotty days I ride at about 15- 22 mph.
Simple design requires very little maintenance.
Easy to clean and drive.
Will handle 3 foot swell days, 20 knott winds and 2-3 foot white caps. You'll be wet but you know you'll make it home.

Cons:
2-stroke motor doesn't idle as nice as a 4-stroke.
Lack of storage compartments and rod storage space.
No T-top = no shade.
Wish it had more seating. Adding a rear folding bench seat by Birdalsmarine would be nice.
Just like any other center console, on windy days it's going to be a wet ride.
No Hydraulic steering with mine. A definate upgrade if you wish to drive far to the fishing grounds.

To keep the boat running well make sure to flush the engines and wash her down after every trip. Change the spark plugs once a year. Change the Impeller once every year to 2 years. I like to change the lower unit oil every season. Clean the carbs every year or rebuild as needed.

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: Wellcraft 1998 190 ccf

I have to chime in here Denno because I respectfully disagree with wkim on several points. Maybe I'm just disapointed because my 190cc does not live up to my last 2 boats.

First I'm going to praise the 190ccf for what it took me through. 4 or 5 years ago I brought it back from Bimini in 10 foot seas with Hurricane Ophellia churning up the Atlantic just a couple hundred miles north of us. I won't go into detail but my son and his room mate were crossing in a 23 foot Century and I couldn't stop them. I wasn't going to let them cross those seas by themselves so I tagged along. Guess there was another reason too, if I had waited eventually I would have had to cross alone too. Anyway the Wellcraft kept right up with the Century. Neither of us had any business in those seas, I tried to talk the boys into chartering a plane back to Florida and I would stay with the boats but they wouldn't go for it.

Ok now for my assesment. Yes she is light and agile, fast no. I couldn't get 35mph out of my 115 with a tail wind. As for fishes great, I am so disapointed in the 190ccf. My last 2 center console boats were a 21 foot robalo and a 20 ft Proline, those boats were designed for fishing. The 190ccf is a pleasure boat hull converted to a fisherman. It is not near as roomy and not near as well laid out as other boats in it's class. The livewell in the CCF is tiny and forward of the cc. Storage is poorly located and I can't get my storage compartments to drain well. If you can fish all day on 8 gallons you aren't doing much running. In a day of trolling I will go through 35 to 40 gallons. I'll agree on most of the cons except my boat steers great and I don't have hydrolic steering.

A couple of things I would like to add. Because of the narow bow in really rough seas she does tend to nose dive on you. I have taken a few waves over the bow. The good thing is she is self bailing and as long as you don't go down like a submarine that water will run out the back. Also read my previous posts about the cockpit scuppers leaking. If you have to use your bilge pump much those scuppers probably need to be replaced, poor design in my opinion.