Anyone know this 4 hp Evinrude??? (pics included)

Oskar

Cadet
Hello again,

In my search for a small, long-shaft kicker for my 15.5' aluminum bowrider, I came across this 4 hp evinrude. I am going to see it today, so do not yet have a model #. I'm hoping someone can provide a rough estimate of its vintage and or an opinion. It has not bee used since the early nineties (yikes) and has extremely low hours (according to the seller who inherited it from his father and never used it). in light of this, is there anything I should be very weary of (water pump etc.). Should I stay away from this motor.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave

0815fe_20.jpeg

5644n5j_20.jpeg

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Anyone know this 4 hp Evinrude??? (pics included)

It appears as the seller said to be barely used. Even if you need to pay for a tech to replace the water pump, it looks like a nice motor. In all likelihood, the water pump is fine. No clue as to year. If you get the model number from the data plate (typicallyon the port side of the mounting bracket, it's very easy to tell the year.

Now you realize that a 4 HP motor isn't going to plane a 15 1/2 ' boat. For that, you would need, say a 15 HP motor, maybe somewhat smaller.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

where is it, i want to beat you to it.

ozzgood2001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

he is using it for a kicker... he doesnt need it to go on plane. he needs it for trolling slow or a spare back up motor. looks like late 80's or early 90's vintage. its an evinrude you cant go wrong !

Rick.

Captain

Looks like about a 90 to me. You'll not regret owning it unless the seller is a bold face liar. Rick.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

You should know the code for the year. The INTRODUCES code

look at the model number, ignore the last letter. The previous 2 should tell you the year

I =1 , N = 2, T = 3 etc up to E = 9 and S = 0

so CU would be '87 , EN would be '92 etc

Looks real beauty. Is there a fuel tank with it. Its not an integral tank is it?

Its the Deluxe version with FN&R gears I think

Its a long shaft but is it a "sail" version? ... its got two cavitation plates

I definitely would fit a new impeller though esp if the one its got has been scrunched up in there for the largest part of 20 years.

Oskar

Cadet

Thanks for all the help folks. I went and saw it today and it looks as good or better than the photos do it justice (everything under the cover looks pristine, including spark plugs). And yes, it has a separate 2 or 3 gallon fuel tank and hose.

I wasn't willing to try and start it, considering it has sat for such a long time. The seller seems quite trustworthy and actually offered to reduce the asking price by the cost of a tune up. He also offered my money back if it turns out to be a lemon.

The model # is E4REIA so it would be a 91 based on VIC S.'s advice (thanks). My only question is that when I toggle the shift lever from forward to neutral (no reverse gear), the prop does not 'disengage' and spin freely in both directions as it does on my 70 VRO. Is this normal or could it be a linkage issue etc.? Any suggestions on things to check?

If I get some favourable feedback, I'm seriously considering offering $300-$350 tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Dave

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the clutch dog may not be disengaging all the way turn the prop when you shift. i would buy it anyway.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Motor should be running when you try shifting or as TD says turn the prop. In any case, check the gear oil before running.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Duplicated therefore deleted

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Odd not a long shaft according to the model number but the photos show it with the 5" extension. Long shaft model number would be E4RLEIA. Mis-read it or standard shaft that has been extended? Ok if you need a longshaft though.

Not a Deluxe model either ... they changed the style of the cover for the basic model from '91!

It has spring clutch not the usual dog. Perhaps that explains why it is not shifting into neutral. TD will have to explain how that works though.

Don't run it dry or you will trash the pump impeller.

Oskar

Cadet

Bought It!

$350, with a 3 gallon plastic tank and hose. Thanks again for all your help. I'll be giving it a once over, including a new impeller very soon.

Evinrude4hp003.jpg

Evinrude4hp007.jpg

As someone stated, the model may not match a long-shaft, but it certainly is a long-shaft.
Evinrude4hp008.jpg

Evinrude4hp009.jpg

Evinrude4hp010.jpg

Oskar

Cadet

A few more pics:

Spare cotter pin still taped on.
Evinrude4hp011.jpg

Evinrude4hp012.jpg

Evinrude4hp004.jpg

beside big brother
Evinrude4hp015.jpg

Evinrude4hp017.jpg