1975 evinrude 70 no top end

capri15068

Cadet
I recently bought a 1989 bayliner capri with a 1975 70 evinrude mounted to it. (not original motor). when we take it out on the river it seems to take forever to get up on plane, if it does. engine starts fine and runs smoothe,we never get above 2500rpms.(15in prop)at full throttle, power pack has been replaced, how can one tell if you are at WOT? we barley get 15mph out of it, i realize this is a small motor but i think it should do better we cant even pull a tube with it. i see a lot of post about cleaning high speed jets which i have not done. i have noticed my dash volt meter going between 12.5 volts and 15.5 volts what would cause this ? could this mean something electrical?before i start dumping money in it i am trying to find ways to narrow it down. stator? rectifier? high speed jets?

i am a boating virgin but mechanicly inclined just need to know where to start and you guys seem to help a lot of people.

thanks in advance

compression 150 each cyl
good fuel flow

capri15068

Cadet
Re: 1975 evinrude 70 no top end

i dont think it was a carb issue after all. went out this morning to pull it out of water and when i started it it nlow a rod out the side of the block,
'

Thanks any how

capri15068

Cadet
wanted near pittsburgh,pa 70hp - 90hp

wanted near pittsburgh,pa 70hp - 90hp

looking for a good 70-90hp outboard for my boat