1965 johnson 40hp rdsl 27-m

michelle23

Recruit
i have a johnson 40hp i started last week for the first time the engine seems like it was sitting for awhile and one of the questions is how much of water should be coming out fron the exhuast part on the up part of the engine? and if it is normal that i see oil mixed into the water? i tested it in a barell and i had mixed oil at the end of the test on the water, is that normal? thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 johnson 40hp rdsl 27-m

i have a johnson 40hp i started last week and one of the questions is how much of water should be coming out fron the muffler part on the up part of the engine? and if it is normal that i see oil mixed into the water? i tested it in a barell and i has mixed oil at the end of the teston the water, is that normal? thanks

Last question first: Absolutely. In fact it will be quite messy after running awhile.

Water discharge: There should be some spray out the exhaust relief any time the motor is running. There will be a heavier spray when the thermostat is open. Most of the discharged water goes out with the underwater exhaust.

That motor has a thermostat controlled, recirculating cooling system. The water pump supplies water through the powerhead, and then it is presented to the thermostat. If it is not 140 degrees or more, it is directed back down to the water pump for recirculation. When it gets warm enough to open the thermostat, it is discharged and replaced with cool water.

What I just described is a constantly changing situation. The thermostat is always sampling the water and opening and closing as necessary to maintain proper temperature. This is why the amount you see being discharged is always changing.

BTW, this is exactly how the cooling system on your car works, except there the hot water goes to the radiator for cooling instead of overboard to be cooled in the lake.

michelle23

Recruit
Re: 1965 johnson 40hp RK- 27-A

i just found a 1965 johnson 40hp RK-27A so i was just woundering why would this motor lock up? and how does it shift? thanks

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Outboards lock up because of no lubrication in the cylinders. Overheat it and it will lock-up, use no oil in the gas and it will lock up, leave the spark plugs out in a humid environment and moisture/rust will lock the pistons to the cylinder walls. If it doesn't have a shift lever on the starboard side of the motor, it is electronic shift...run away, don't walk, run away from that.

michelle23

Recruit

well the guy just left it in my house and he does not want it, so i was just asking to see if i could fix it you know, do i have to take it a part and deal with the cylinders? or open the gear box? since it is electric shift do i have to energize it to put it on neutral?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If its electric shift and locked up, I'd drag it off to the shop and part it out...get what you can out of it and then look for a good, working motor to invest in, if you need an outboard.

michelle23

Recruit
Re: 1965 johnson 40hp rdsl 27-m

that bad huh!!!! well i really don't need another one because i have a 1965johnson 40 hp rdsl 27-m thanks anyways