1961 Johnson QD22 SN 318213

nbrownle

Recruit
Hello, question on carburetor parts for 1961 10 horse Johnson model QD 22, s/n 318213. My dad and uncle bought twin engines and boats in 1961, my dad sold his but I was able to buy both from my uncle. Engine was not working well as it had sat for many years, it would have full power, then no power off and on. Took it in for repair and carb was replaced, this did not resolve so coils were done and engine as been running fine but does not have the high end power it should have. I remember this engine as a kid lifting our boat out of the water. I took it in again and they said prop was slipping so that was also replaced with no change.

In my view, I believe the original problem was the coils only and carb replacement as messed things up as engine does not have power it should have and also seems to burn more gas than it should and seems to run dirty, ie. a lot of oil/gas in exhaust. I have had a compress test done as well and it was fine.

Any ideas, and does anyone know where to get original carb kit with the float? Or what float should be used now? I can find carb kits for 1961 10 horse but all are without the float, thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Johnson QD22 SN 318213

Carburetor kit 439071 comes with the float, available at any dealership.

nbrownle

Recruit
Re: 1961 Johnson QD22 SN 318213

Thanks for your quick reply. When I search on this kit number on google it comes up as carb for 1965 Johnson. Is there a reason it does not list for 1961 10 horse engine? Thanks

My mistake, just search again and found this is listed for 1961 engine, thanks