condensation inside carb?

Doggonitt

Cadet
I have condensation inside my 4bbl carb (1997 7.4L Merc) and was wondering if this is normal. I sprayed it and surrounding area with Corrosion Block after wiping it down. It has rained for the last two weeks every day.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: condensation inside carb?

i assume the cover was over motor, and this time of year, i assume the temp. in your area is fairly warm. warm temps, rain is perfect combo for condensation, especially in areas that don't get real good ventilation. certainly sprayin carb will help. if possible, weather permitting, take cover off for the day before running, allow things to naturally dry out, you should be ok then.

Doggonitt

Cadet

Yes, flame arrestor and cover were on, plus a canvas over the boat. (It's not in the water yet). It hasn't been that warm here yet, today is first day in a long while past 72. I asked this because I can't remember seeing it prior to this year, and there is rust forming. I should be able to open up everything today for a good drying out. First day of Nice warm sun.
thank you

havasuboatman

Ensign

Throw an old blanket over the top of the motor until your weather clears up.
The moisture wont get thru to your carb.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

no worries, that's what we're here for. weather/air temp/air quality is constantly changing everywhere. never assume that just because it hasn't happened before, that it can't happen. a little trick, especially if boat sits covered for a bit, go to hardware store and pick up one or two of the DRI-Z AIR things. if you're canvas cover doesn't leak, leave engine cover off while boat is covered, put one of the DRI-Z towards bow, other stern. otherwise if cover needs to be over engine, put one of them under the cover of motor, or under seat next to motor, somewhere where it can draw the moisture out of the engine area. these things work awesome to help control moisture and condensation.

Doggonitt

Cadet

Is Dri-z the same as damp rid? I keep those all over the inside of cabin. Never thought about putting them in the engine compartment. Thanks for the tips all.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

i believe dri-z and damp rid are the same. works wonders. bubba1235's baggy trick is good too, but works for carb, dist. only. the damp-rid works for entire engine area.