Prop Porting.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
My buddy just called from his cottage 5 hours away and is having issues getting the big guys up on ski's. I suggested before his trip that he drop a couple of inches on his pitch knowing the performance of his boat but once again he knew best and left it as it was. I even offered him my lower pitch spare to try as we are going up there next week and I could get it back then but he declined.
Bottom line is that I think porting his current prop will help him and I want to talk him through it from here. I can not find the diagram for the hole location on my computer anymore (maybe got deleted) so I can e-mail it to him and then talk him through on the phone with something for him to refer to.
Can someone post either the diagram or a link for me so I can help him.
His wife is upset as she could not ski yesterday so he is in the doghouse. His current boat is new to him this season.
Any and all help and assistance is as usual very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken.

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop Porting.

porting is'nt going to be like night and day it will help a little. need to go down in pitch size for pulling big guys esspecially with an old 140. need to be hitting 5500 wot rpms to get all the hole shot possible. maybee motor has room to go up on the transom this would help to. the cavitaion plate on motor should be about an inch or more above bottom of transom. porting is done on the barrel on the back side of blades. about an inch up the purpose is no air touchs the cup part of blade. dont think this is going to make that much of a difference good luck

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

porting is'nt going to be like night and day it will help a little. need to go down in pitch size for pulling big guys esspecially with an old 140. need to be hitting 5500 wot rpms to get all the hole shot possible. maybee motor has room to go up on the transom this would help to. the cavitaion plate on motor should be about an inch or more above bottom of transom. porting is done on the barrel on the back side of blades. about an inch up the purpose is no air touchs the cup part of blade. dont think this is going to make that much of a difference good luck

Thanks for the input. It is not my boat that is in question. I have ported one of my prop's and it made a noticeable difference on my 140. My friends set up is good and he is hitting 5,600 WOT. He just needs a bit more "woomph" with his hole shot and has no other options than to port it right now.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thank You,
I searched and searched earlier this morning for it but had no luck finding it. I have e-mailed it to my buddy already and will be following with a phone call to him shortly when I will talk him through it.
I will post his results later.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

At only 5600 his holeshot probably isn't the best anyway. It should help with pulling toys to some extent but I'm sure he'll see some improvement in his normal everyday boating holeshot. You are absolutely right, not many times is the correct normal running prop the best one for pulling toys.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well,
Talked him through it and he drilled at 1/4" with some success. Opened it up to 5/16" and the heaviest guy came up with just a little trouble. His wife now get's up no problem so hopefully they will have a good week. His wife still wants to ski behind our boat when we get there next Saturday as she told me on the phone "your boat is better". Could be just that our boat was the one she learned to ski on.
Anyway he is now wishing he had taken my spare prop with him but the vacation will not be lost due to his boats performance.
Thanks for all the help.

Ken.