Ok I'm frustrated...need help

drewpster

Commander
Tonight I spend several hours trying to apply the first layer of woven roving over the stringers in my tri-hull. I wasted 3 pints of resin and allot of time trying to get this stuff to lay down. I rounded all the top corners and filleted all the inside corners with no luck. I ended up pulling it off.... disgusted. What am I doing wrong here?
(18 oz. woven roving over a layer of 1.5 oz csm) roving pulls away from the tops of the stringers and voids in the lower corners. Used chip brushes and a grooved roller pre-soaked the cloth and rolled wet resin to the surface prior to application....:mad:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ok I'm frustrated...need help

Tonight I spend several hours trying to apply the first layer of woven roving over the stringers in my tri-hull. I wasted 3 pints of resin and allot of time trying to get this stuff to lay down. I rounded all the top corners and filleted all the inside corners with no luck. I ended up pulling it off.... disgusted. What am I doing wrong here?
(18 oz. woven roving over a layer of 1.5 oz csm) roving pulls away from the tops of the stringers and voids in the lower corners. Used chip brushes and a grooved roller pre-soaked the cloth and rolled wet resin to the surface prior to application....:mad:

hmmmmmm......that sucks.....

how thick is the stringer drewp?.....18 oz wont go over any thing thinner than 2 ins....(even the 1.5 csm will get air unless you rip it and use the ripped edge for the top)...on my thread we thought of doing a dowelling over the stringer (3/4 inch) to give it the roundness needed for the corners.

but now that you have the glass off and placed in the glass sclupture bin.
you can add peanut butter to the vertical rise (inner corner at the bottom)
as far as the top of the stringer.....either live with the air or cut the glass and cap the stringer with some strands.

one thing to make sure of, is that the weave of the glass is exactally straight with the edge of the stringer....if a weave of cloth goes from one side of the stringer to the other you will allways get air...

hope that helps ya buddy.

cheers
ward