1989 115 elpto Merc

Wiboater6181

Cadet
I have fuel related problem. Motor starts and idles fine. When I take off and get up on plane, it will go about 150 yards and then slowly loose power. I will slow down to about 2000-3000 RPM and bounce around in that RPM range. If I slow to idle again for a minute or so then take off, same thing happens again. If I pump the ball when it start to slow down, it come back to life again for another 150 yards or so. I have replaced the fuel filter and drained and cleaned in the inside of the fuel tank and fule pick up screen. Might this be a fuel pump problem? Do i just start replacing fuel line until its fixed? Looking for options. THanks.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1989 115 elpto Merc

I recently worked on a 115-4 Merc with fueling issues. When I pulled apart the fuel pump, the rubber check valves were just shredded. A miracle it ran at all, as bad as they were.

If your fuel pump has never been rebuilt, it very likely needs the upgraded alcohol-resistant components.

Note that, depending on the model, there are (2) different styles of fuel pump repair kits. One is for the pump which has a 90-deg check valve coming right out of the pump cover. The other kit is for the type of pump with a separate, inline check valve. So be sure to get the one which matches your motor!

And buy a genuine Mercury diaphragm kit, I picked up a Sierra kit and the check valve retainers didn't fit quite right. Had to re-use the ones off the old pump and that's just irritating!

HTH & G'luck............ed

Wiboater6181

Cadet

Great advice. I will give it try, the pumps never been rebuilt to my knowledge.

Wiboater6181

Cadet

Good news the rebuilt pump worked. On one note. Mercury does not supply the rubber reeds with the rebuild kits anymore. It just uses the hard clear plastic ones. probably has something to do with the new gas as mentioned.

Thanks