1999 evinrude 9.9 4 stroke online manual?

tfb4me

Cadet
Hi all im new here...I Just recently bought a camper trailer deal that happened upon my lap while away on family vacation..It included a 14ft Springbok alum boat with a 1999 Evinrude 9.9 motor.The motor hasnt been run since last summer. I want to give it a good tune up before I put it in the water.I ordered a service manual on Evilbay and awaiting it within the next few days...In the meantime is there anywhere I can get one online someplace to do this service? The fishin has been beautifull up this way and would love to get it in the water in the next couple of days..
Thanks if you can help!!

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 evinrude 9.9 4 stroke online manual?

You won't find a service manual available on-line ... just parts diagrams!

You said ... "want to give it a good tune up before I put it in the water" ... what do you consider part of "a good tune up"?

Have you tried starting the motor ... on muffs, or in the water? I'd check the condition of the lube in the lower unit and the crankcase ... change them as necessary ... then try to start the motor.

In other words, if it aint' broke, no need to fix it!

tfb4me

Cadet

well when I buy somthing used I always change the oil and filter.I would also like to throw a new set of plung in it too. The bottom end oil should be done too should it not? I need a manual to do all this. I guess that is my idea of a good tune up. Peace of mind stuff. Can the motor be started without it being in the water? What exactly are muffs anyway?...Like I said earlier im new here and new with 4 stroke outboard motors.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

You can't start it without it having water to it by a garden hose adapter ("Muffs") or by having the lower end submerged in a barrel of water. The rubber water pump impeller will burn up if it does not have water to it.
It is good maintenance to replace the water pump impeller if it is of unknown vintage.

Yes, you should change the lower unit oil.
The plugs are probably good

I don't know about the crankcase oil/filter procedure.

The Achilles' Heel of that motor is the ignition system. The power pack is $371 and the coils are unavailable. If you are planning on keeping the motor, I would try to call around acquire a coil as a spare.

tfb4me

Cadet

Ok cool...I didnt think you could run it without it being in water..I will pick-up a Garden Hose adaptor and see how it runs after I change all the oils..now I wait on the darn manuals...

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about the crankcase oil/filter procedure.

This motor needs 43 oz. of 4-stroke oil (or a good quality 10W30 SG or SH oil) and a filter (OMC 434839) for the crankcase.

One other tip on renewing the gearcase oil ... use 80W90 marine lube ... this motor needs 9 oz. Remove both plugs from lower unit to drain ... fill from bottom hole until lube runs out of top hole ... replace bottom plug (with new seal) first , then top plug (also with new seal). Do not remove the Phillips head screw! NOTE: The factory diagram has the location of the bottom plug and pivot pin BACKWARDS from their actual locations (see diagram and photo below)!

OMCgearcasediagram-1.jpg

Gearcaseplugs.jpg

tfb4me

Cadet

wow thats just exellent!! Thanks a ton. What does the pivot pin do exactally? I wont remove it just want to know what it's purpose is..I wonder how many people the factory manual has messed up with the wrong diagram..

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

wow thats just exellent!! Thanks a ton. What does the pivot pin do exactally? I wont remove it just want to know what it's purpose is..I wonder how many people the factory manual has messed up with the wrong diagram..

It has something to do with the shift lever ... if removed, it's likely that you'd have to disassemble the gearcase to get things connected back correctly!

Maybe someone else can explain its purpose a little more in detail.

After studying the diagram a little closer, I believe I've figured out where the pivot pin connects:

OMCgearcasediagramII.jpg

tfb4me

Cadet

Ok I started it up today with the muff or whatever its called.lol
I did only run it for a short time period(maybe 1 to 2 minutes) I noticed when it ran no water came out of the tube at the top of the motor. Does that mean it needs a new impeller?:confused: Is the water supposed to come out while running with an adaptor?

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

Did you have the muffs completely covering the water intake on both sides of the lower unit ... and the water on fairly strong? Water should come out of the "tell tale" even at idle ... and increase somewhat in strength as you increase the RPM's.

Could be a bad impeller, or it could be the hose to the "tell tale" is clogged up. Before you tackle pulling the lower unit to rebuild the water pump, take a piece of string trimmer line maybe 12" or so in length and ream it out. If your motor is like mine, the hose for the "tell tale" loops up maybe 8" or so inside the cover, and then turns back downwards ... and then connects to the head.

tfb4me

Cadet

ok it looks like need to change the water pump....can anyone help me out here? I have done my older mercury 7.5 before but Im lost when it comes to this motor..I still dont have the service manual and there are no places around here that can do it untill the better part of next week...I was hopeing to have it in the water for the weekend..Can anybody post a step by step on how to do this small job?
Thanks again....

tfb4me

Cadet

I have the parts here if anyone has the time to copy a couple pages from thier service manual that would be awemone! I just hate waiting on the post office..

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I don't have the manual for that one, but I suspect it goes like this:
Remove the bolt for the shift linkage, which is under the carb (?)
Remove the bolts attaching the lower end and remove the lower end.
Remove water pump housing and replace impeller

Diagrams are here:
http://shop2.evinrude.com