1986 Johnson 150 GT - Buzzes and boggs down

jessicag

Recruit
Hey guys. New to the forum and to boating...and already having problems, UGH!

My dad just bought me a 1986 Procraft 1950V fish & ski, for college graduation, with a Johnson 150 GT motor that was also made in 1986. I've taken it out 2 weekends in a row without a problem. I do have to spray some stuff into the motor to get it started, but once that's done it will start right up all day.

On Thrusday, after I started the motor we started out on the water, after a few minutes of going about 30 miles an hour a buzzer started going off. It freaked me and my friends out!! I pulled back on the accelerator and the buzz would stop. When I'd try to go faster it would buzz again. I realized that at 2000 to 2500 rpm it would not buzz but anything 3000 and over and the buzzing went off again. And over 4500 and the buzzing was steady and non stop.

But then, even if i accelerated to 3000 rpm it was loud but I was barely moving.

I had to turn around and go back. I went really slow even though the motor sounded like I should have been going fast.

So now I have to take it in to get it fixed but I wanted to know what you guys thought it could be so the mechanic doesn't try to take advantage of the fact that I don't know much about boats, or that I'm a girl.

Also, if you guys know of a good/honest (but mainly good) mechanic in houston, I'd really appreciate the name and number.