Suction cup fender straps suck...

skargo

Banned
or rather they don't, lost one today. I should have gone with my first instinct when I bought them, I just new they weren't a good idea.

I watched one of my fenders float up a channel. I also watched a boat go past it, turn around and retrieve it and ride off into the sunset with it. :(

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suction cup fender straps suck...

The good news is that it will probably work just as good for him as it had for you!:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Suction Cup Fender Straps????? You strap your boat down with a strap that attaches to the fender by suction cup and wonder why it doesn't work?

Good God! People will buy anything! :D

skargo

Banned

Suction Cup Fender Straps????? You strap your boat down with a strap that attaches to the fender by suction cup and wonder why it doesn't work?

Good God! People will buy anything! :D

The funny thing is I bought them on impulse, totally unlike me. Got them at Boater's World when they went out of business.

What do you mean strap the boat down? :confused: The fender is attached to the boat via a suction cup. The one I still have is being used as a backup, but if you apply the suction cup to a clean, dry surface, it istuck on there good, I couldn't remove it without pulling the tab.
Here's a pic of what they look like.

39006.gif

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I get it. I was thinking of a boat tie down strap that attached to the trailers fenders with suction cups. My bad. :D

reelfishin

Captain

The strap was no real loss, but because of it, your out a good fender.

They'd maybe work on a really light boat so long as its tied so as not to be able to move fore and aft against the dock. I can see where it would pop free as the fender rolled along the hull and dock.

They really don't look like they'd even be all that secure even just hanging there. As soon as the sun dried out the suction cup, it would almost certainly loose its seal or grip on the boat.

Expidia

Commander

They make suction cup outboard mounts too. This way ya don't have to drill any holes in your transom. Just be glad Boaters World didn't have any left when you were there :)

I just put 4 of these "ultimate" fender cleats on both our boats. I was tired of trying various methods over the years. Some of those grip the fender line type cleats fray the lines eventually.

Iboats might carry them too.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ame=Boat-Fenders&aID=602B&merchID=1009&r=view

This style is pricey but they just mount with two screws into the top of your gunnels (not for mooring or using dock lines) or mounted where ever you like. They work great. All you do is place a knot in the line where you want the fenders to hang at several levels. You pull up on the spring loaded center piece and pop the line in at the knot.

Great for those times when you are coming into the dock and you have to suddenly switch fenders to other side. And easy for anyone on board to do.

My space is at a premium, so I don't want to carry 4 fenders. These cleats are sleek looking if you mount them on top of your gunnels with no edges to get caught on like dock cleats.

On my Lund which has a sport trak system I mounted the cleats on the drink holder brackets and now they slide left and right too and don't interfere with the drink holder.

DSC05891.jpg

DSC05894.jpg

scipper77

Commander

I wonder if the suction cup will help keep the bumpers from popping up from in between the boat and the dock if they are placed on the bottom of the fender?? I sometimes tie off to a friends boat and the motion of the waves tends cause some of the bumpers between the boats to not stay in between. The same can happen at the docks except I don't bother with bumpers as the docks I use have good rub rails (actually padded green carpet wrapped) around the side.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think everybody missed it..."but if you apply the suction cup to a clean, dry surface, it istuck on there good, I couldn't remove it without pulling the tab."

My boat is clean and dry before and after a day of boating.:D
But on the water? :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, I had bought the suction cups that are supposed to hold your tube down. They worked great until I started to go down river.:eek: At least I got my tube back.:redface:

My thoughts now are "if ain't tied down, I must not want it anymore".

rp23g7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have two of these, for the rear of my boat and two windsheild mounts, my cleats are in the wrong places. I clean the area each time we go out though. Seem to work ok so far.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

And if you act now..WE'LL SUPERSIZE YOUR ORDER!!! 4 SUCTIONS CUPS FOR THE PRICE OF 2!!!!!

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

If you look at the packaging for those, they are actually for storing the fenders on the boat. The strap goes around the middle of the fender to hold it. Despite the marketing picture, it says nothing about using them to hold a fender deployed outside of the boat. Kinda sketchy marketing.

-E

skargo

Banned

If you look at the packaging for those, they are actually for storing the fenders on the boat. The strap goes around the middle of the fender to hold it. Despite the marketing picture, it says nothing about using them to hold a fender deployed outside of the boat. Kinda sketchy marketing.

-E

Huh?

39006.gif

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I use the fenders with a rope also, some times when pulling into the marina they spin on the rope, Ya I can see how they would pop off, thanks for the heads up.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I use the fenders with a rope also, some times when pulling into the marina they spin on the rope, Ya I can see how they would pop off, thanks for the heads up.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Like I said, that's the picture, now read the description on the package. It's along the lines of "keeps fenders secured when not in use" and mentions nothing of using them for deployed fenders.

-E

skargo

Banned

Like I said, that's the picture, now read the description on the package. It's along the lines of "keeps fenders secured when not in use" and mentions nothing of using them for deployed fenders.

-E

LOL, OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. My packaging said nothing of the sort. They are meant to deploy fenders, not store them.

From product description,

Instant protection for your boat or personal watercraft! Attach your boat fenders exactly where you need the protection.

* Giant 3 1/4" suction cups attach to gelcoat or windshields quickly and easily
* Perfect for most boats and personal watercraft where cleats never seem to be where you need them
* Durable 1" wide straps adjust up to 24" long
* Can be used as a flat fender as well
* Two per package
* Fenders not included.