1985 85hp force spark issue

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been trouble shooting this thing off and on for a couple months. got spark on the bottom 2 cylinders now and none at top cylinder. is there an adjustment on the trigger or does anyone have a good trouble shooting guide for this motor my manual is horrible for this. I did switch the top plug to the lower Cd and it did fire so I know its not the coil

john from md

Commander
Re: 1985 85hp force spark issue

There is an extra circuit in the CDI of a three cylinder engine. Just switch to the other plug, it usually dangels behind the CDI bracket and try it out. If your problem is the CDI circuit, it should fire up, if not, you need more troubleshooting. There are many many threads on this forum about troubleshooting 85hp engines. Try different search terms each time and you will get a wealth of knowledge.

John

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you can also scroll down to the bottom of this thread and it will list some simaler threads..

tonycrespo

Seaman

there is more to it then just switch the coil wire.

you have to switch the trigger leads to the cd module as well as the Stator lead.

Trust me, I just got through this problem on a 150 with a spare ignition curcuit.

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys Ive been out there messing with it when I move the trigger one way I loose spark on the center plug move it back and the spark is back to that plug. maybe a trigger issue? or little of both how to you switch the wiring or were do they go to on the panel off the trigger to swap to the extra wire on the CDI

john from md

Commander

The electrical plugs on these engines leave alot to be desired. I suggest you clean all the connections and use a tie wrap to keep them together. You may be moving the connectors when you move the trigger around.

John

shawpdx1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pulled they fly off again looked around from what I see everything looks cool. thinking about pulling all wires of and rewire the thing not sure if the guy I got it from wired it correct. my manual is lame to say the least on detailed wiring of the trigger and stator anyone have a good picture I can see so I can start from scratch. thanks Im fairly sure its going to be a bad stator or trigger but set mind at ease to know its wired right these wires were routed horrible so make me think maybe something is a-miss