78 Johnson 150 no power at low rpm

Teebz

Recruit
ok I have a '78 johnson 150. on a 19' steury. idles fine, when i accelerate, it has a very hard time getting up on plane, the engine doesnt skip, it just struggles. once im on plane, she has all the power in the world, and stays running great, however, when i slow down to trolling speed, or stop, she either has a hard time getting up to speed again or simply bogs down and smokes a lot. sometimes when it bogs like this, ill put it in neutral, rev it up real good, put it back into gear and sometimes it will be able to get up on plane, but not without struggling. it seems like the engine has no power at all at low rpm but once at high rpm, shes a rocket. i have strong spark, compression is 90-95 on all 6. i have put a lot of work into this motor already (to solve other issues) so ill list the new parts:
head gaskets, thermostats, fuel pumps and carbs rebuilt, all new coils, plugs, wires, power packs, rectifier, stator, timer base. fresh fuel is mixed 50:1 new fuel lines, tank. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 78 Johnson 150 no power at low rpm

you'll be adding new parts if you keep revving the crap out of it in neutral, like rods.:p

Try this when its struggling

have someone pump the fuel bulb.
Choke it slightly to see if it responds.
Using 3/8th fuel line right?

Also try a timing light on the spark wires to see if its dropping a cyl under load.

gotta be somethin simple here.