No hour meter on 2000 Rinker? My first boat?

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Rinker-232-Captiva/110641611

I am in love with this boat..... perfect fit for my needs. Good powerplant, lots of storage, awesome look. This was the boat I have been searching for for a very long time. As some of you know I had a boat but it did poorly on inspection so I am hunting for another one. This one does not have an hour meter though and that scares me a bit. Thoughts on this boat and the lack of an hour meter?

bowtie4x4295

Seaman Apprentice
Re: No hour meter on 2000 Rinker? My first boat?

I have a hard time believing there is no hour meter on that nice, and pricey of a boat. They may not know where to look, or dont want the truth known, but I bet it's there...

Mike

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a hard time believing there is no hour meter on that nice, and pricey of a boat. They may not know where to look, or dont want the truth known, but I bet it's there...

Mike
+1

Definately, hard to beleive.

Have you checked the boat onsite?
Some I/O equipped boats have the hourmeter in the engine compartment.

TilliamWe

Banned

I am not surprised that there is no hourmeter. Rinker is not that pricey of a boat to begin with, so I can believe they didn't equip bowriders with them in 2000.
That said, no hourmeter should not be a deal killer. After all, it's just hours. There are some high hour boats that I would much rather have than low hour boats (My 1997 Chaparral comes to mind). Inspect the boat closely, get maintanence records if available, and get it surveyed. I have said it before and I'll say it here, people that don't use their boats very much, tend to neglect them and their required maintanence items. How many times on these forums have you seen someone say, "well, I didn't change the oil this spring cause I only put 15 hours on it last summer." I've seen it a dozen or more times, and that's just the ones who'll admit it.

That said, the boat looks clean. The price is high, but you should be able to negotiate.

TilliamWe

Banned

+1

Definately, hard to beleive.

Have you checked the boat onsite?
Some I/O equipped boats have the hourmeter in the engine compartment.

As far as this goes, it should be part of the tachometer. Look for it when you go see the boat. But the engine compartment is also another excellent place to look.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hour meters are also very easy to get around. First, they are not expensive so a new hour meter can simply be hooked to a battery and let run until it reads whatever one wants it to read. Install it in the boat and there you go. Contrary to popular belief the engine does not have an input to the hour meter. It is simply a 12 volt clock that runs anytime the key is on - engine running or not. Therefore, as was mentioned don't let the hour meter be the deciding factor.