gimbal bearing help

schwonk1

Cadet
Hello:

I am finishing my '69 Glastron V174 Crestflite and have encountered a problem and hope someone can give me some help:

I removed the outdrive to install the 250 I6 engine that I rebuilt over the winter. I figured I would do routine maintenance on the outdrive while I had it off by installing a new water pump impeller, grease the u-joints and gimbal pivots, etc. I machined an alignment tool based on the drawing from this forum.

I cannot locate the grease fitting for the gimbal bearing. The outdrive is a Type 1, The serial # is 261639 The service manual is not clear on where this fitting is located. There are four grease fittings on the gimbal housing, 2 for the tilt pivot pins and 2 for the upper and lower pivot pins.
Can anyone out there point me in the right direction???

Also, the u-joints do not have grease fittings. Anybody have any luck using a grease needle to get grease into the u-joints??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

schwonk1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: gimbal bearing help

Your housing may not have that feature to grease the bearing.If you use the new style gimbal bearing you can make a tool to grease it . I used an old ring with some cutting and welding for this.Requires you to twist the bearing out of it`s ring first.
gimbalgreasetool.jpg

schwonk1

Cadet

Thanks for the pic. On closer inspection today I noticed a "hole" on the gimbal bearing at the 12 o'clock position while looking up through the driveshaft bellows. This hole is threaded and a grease fitting will screw right into it. Is this possibly where the grease fitting for the gimbal bearing would be located???

Thanks for the help

Schwonk1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`m looking for the pic, but if you have the fitting it would be located on the right side of the transom housing around 3:30 or 4:00.very close to the fiberglass