Need a new engine! Help!

Nutt

Seaman
I started my boat today and I heard a rod knocking. I would like to rebuild it but I am also looking for a place to maybe purchase one for a reasonable price. If you could help point me in a good direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Sorry Had a dumb moment! here is the engine.

eninge: 3.0 OMC 1992

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need a new engine! Help!

Can send you in a lot of directions, but if we knew what motor, it would be a lot easier

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... a replacement 3.0l shouldn't be too hard to find,.... Have you tried Googling,..??

Nutt

Seaman

I have used much search foo but to not much avail. Most are either way out of my price range or are not worth buying. I am in the $1500 range.

Fix'em

Seaman Apprentice

I have used much search foo but to not much avail. Most are either way out of my price range or are not worth buying. I am in the $1500 range.

For that price, if you've got access to basic tools and a torque wrench, you might as well rebuild it unless you can find a great smokin' deal. But keep in mind, if it's used, you always run the risk of purchasing someone elses problem.

Figure $250 in gaskets and seals, $100 for a full set of main and rod bearings, $50 to polish the crank, maybe $150 if you need to grind and polish if a bearing is spun.... If your wrist pins, pistons and rings are fine, should be pretty easy. A couple of evenings and a case of beer later, and you're back on the water. :D

Nutt

Seaman

For that price, if you've got access to basic tools and a torque wrench, you might as well rebuild it unless you can find a great smokin' deal. But keep in mind, if it's used, you always run the risk of purchasing someone elses problem.

Figure $250 in gaskets and seals, $100 for a full set of main and rod bearings, $50 to polish the crank, maybe $150 if you need to grind and polish if a bearing is spun.... If your wrist pins, pistons and rings are fine, should be pretty easy. A couple of evenings and a case of beer later, and you're back on the water. :D

I with you I would have no problems rebuilding the thing. I am worried the std parts will not work. I might have to bore the cylinders and get the crank turned . I have not been able to find any parts that are say .010 over.

Also, Just checked with Rapido and they do not sell 3.0L engines.

Michael

Bondo

Staff member

I am worried the std parts will not work. I might have to bore the cylinders and get the crank turned . I have not been able to find any parts that are say .010 over.

Ayuh,... You need to locate a local Machine Shop for the machine work,...
Ask them about .030 over pistons,+ undersized bearings,...
I'm sure they will be able to fix you up...

Nutt

Seaman

So I torn the engine down and guess what? I found nothing! The boat and engine are 15 yrs old and the engine has less than 100 hrs on it. The internals looked awesome. So what could possibly been making the sound of a rod knocking?

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

So I torn the engine down and guess what? I found nothing! The boat and engine are 15 yrs old and the engine has less than 100 hrs on it. The internals looked awesome. So what could possibly been making the sound of a rod knocking?

hows the ujoints and gimbal bearing?

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah Man, I feel your pain. A used engine is like finding that can in the pantry, that the label came off of. Is it corn, is it soup, is it dog food?