Wire missing on starter for 1985 AQ131A?

lilboatsman

Seaman
My starter clicks, but won't crank. I checked my wiring to and from the starter relay, and that seems to be fine. But upon looking at my starter, it only has 2 wires connected to it, the big red one from the battery and the yellow/red one from the relay.

There is another spot on the starter solonoid for a wire, shouldn't there be something connected to it? Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wire missing on starter for 1985 AQ131A?

Only need those 2 to spin the starter, the 3rd lug is sometimes used to supply battery voltage directly to the coil to aid in starting.
Have you checked the oil in the motor and outdrive?
Are battery cable connections clean and tight on both ends of the cables?
The click may be a slave solemoid, try jumping the yel/red to the main battery lug to see if the starter now turns.

lilboatsman

Seaman

Only need those 2 to spin the starter, the 3rd lug is sometimes used to supply battery voltage directly to the coil to aid in starting.
Have you checked the oil in the motor and outdrive?
Are battery cable connections clean and tight on both ends of the cables?
The click may be a slave solemoid, try jumping the yel/red to the main battery lug to see if the starter now turns.

I double checked the relay, then put a bar on the crank to make sure the motor isn't locked, then tried jumping the starter, and then removed the starter and tried jumping it again (while still grounding it). No response, just the starter solernoid clicking (I checked, and the starter relay is also clicking, but it's definitely a different "click").

I think the starter may need fixing/replacing. Any other ideas from anyone?

captmello

Captain

If you've got the starter out, bring it in to be bench tested.